Has FBI really sent a notification to my PC?

laoreo

n00b
Hi there! Look what happened to my PC - I logged in to Windows and I saw some message displayed by FBI. It seemed that I had been contacted by FBI. They wanted to warn me that my PC was locked and I had to pay a fee of $100 in order to unlock it.

I don`t know if this is true, but I can hardly use my PC. The problem is that this message does not disappear and I don`t know what to do!!!

Please, if you have any idea let me know!

I highly doubt it. I helped one of my wives friends with some similar spyware. Malware Bytes takes care of it in safe mode.

If it is asking for money, it is a scam.

Yep. Scam all the way. There are a lot of variations on this kind of software to the point where we have a name for it, "ransomware."

Malware Bytes, Spybot Search & Destroy, and failing that good old combofix. Do you have any anti-virus software, OP? Is it still functional / have you run a scan since these messages started showing up? Did you click on anything odd or start any unusual / quesionable software before they showed up? Sometimes they'll wait a few days or a week to show up so it's difficult to determine where it came from.

I removed the same thing from a few pc's in Feb and March in Europe, but with whatever local government equivalent of the FBI. This scam has been going around for about 6 or 7 months now. As far as I can tell it is somehow getting in through Facebook, but I am not sure how.

Just remember that the government physically comes to your door or sends a real letter.

The fact that this can still be a serious question is horrifying.

I would like to see a screenshot of this LOL but like everybody else been saying its a virus/malware time to due a serious spybot/malwarebytes/MSE scan buddy!!!!

Well, thanks for all your help!!!! I checked, it`s a virus indeed. Here http://www.americanpendulum.com/2012/06/26/remove-fbi-moneypak-virus/ I found some information and there were removal instructions, but I failed to follow them and then I used Malwarebytes. Now I think everything is ok with my PC, but as a conclusion I would like to tell you to be veery cautious when browsing the net, because, as it turned out, to find your PC is really unpleasant and to clean it after that is a very difficult task.

Thanks once again!

Sounds like a scam. The FBI normally wont send you any kind of message, they'll be in your house surrounding you with guns before you even realize they wanted to get in.

I would also love to see a screenshot lol. But as a general rule of thumb if it asks for money, more likely than not its a scam :p

This found its way onto a family laptop... I have photos... will upload them soon for your viewing pleasure ;)

The government makes 270 Billion USD a month in US Taxes, way more than plenty if you ask me, the FBI is not going to illegally access your PC without a warrant and demand you pay money.

You people should seriously learn your Constitutional Rights, that is why our country is falling apart.

Ignore if you are NOT from US obviously.

Exactly. When the FBI illegally access your PC they will try to hide their tracks!

Friend of mine got this. Had him run MBAM in safe mode which removed it. He restarted his laptop and after a fwe minutes it reappeared. Got him running MSSEC in safe mode to see if that helps, then the MBAM scan after that to be sure.

might need to go a bit deeper and run TDSS Killer as well could be a rootkit.
Also manually uninstalling the malware may be necessary.

Back