Has anyone used the Toshiba MK6026GAX (5400RPM, 16meg cache)?

I'm currently reassembling a cannibalized Sony v505DXP. I was looking at the Toshiba MK6026GAX 60gig 5400RPM 16meg cache harddrive. It seems to have pretty good features for the price (~$89 after shipping at the Egg). I was wondering if anyone has any good or bad experiences with these drives.

Performance is okay for a drive of its class. For 16 MB I would have expected the Toshiba to have a leg up on its competition, but from what the benchmarks I've seen it's middle of the road for a 5400 RPM drive, which isn't bad.

On the plus side, its a very, very quiet drive. It's probably the quietest drive I've ever heard, along with some Samsung and Fujitsu units.

I actually bought this hard drive when the hard drive in my g3 ibook started making horrible noise.
I can tell that is definetly faster then the original 4200 drive that was in here, and I have gotten no noticable loss in battery life, in fact it seems to have stayed the same, however if I had to do it again, I would have gotten an even faster hard drive.
I agree with the above poster on the drive being quiet as well, can't even hear it at all anymore.
One thing to note, if I'm not mistaken I bought the drive from newegg as well and it didn't even come with a hard drive box or anything, its just in some bubble wrap and an anti-static bag, so uhh that didn't seem to great of a way to ship a hard drive to me.

vacaskin said:
One thing to note, if I'm not mistaken I bought the drive from newegg as well and it didn't even come with a hard drive box or anything, its just in some bubble wrap and an anti-static bag, so uhh that didn't seem to great of a way to ship a hard drive to me.

Actually, that's standard practice. I receive drives shipped that way all of the time. :)

i have the 40gb version of the drive and i cant complain. I upgraded from a 4200rpm drive and the difference is like day and night. I havn't seen any less battery life with the drive either which is always a good thing. And as stated already, the drive is extremely quiet.

All-in-all a great drive for the price.

I got the same drive in my 9300. Preformace seems solid and it is very quiet. Also runs pretty cool as well =)

toshiba is total crap, on toms hardware it came in LAST, and it costs MORE than some seagate drives, toshiba is just shit in general, they have never made a respectable product, if you want a real notebook drive get seagate or WD scorpio drives, they rank as the fastest 5400RPM drives you can get, samsung is the middle performer but its the cheapest, fujitsu and toshiba are just garbage, which is why dell and some other companies use them.

Back