Has anyone tried to run Vista premium with integrated graphics

banjo5150

Weaksauce
I am building a budget PC for internet, word docs, email, music. No gaming, well maybe the games that come within Vista. Do you think this would run the Aero theme? I know everything should be good but maybe not my integrated graphics. It is a vista ready mobo with Nvidia 6100, it says I can allocate up to 256MB of ram to it. I have tried searching but have not found to much regarding Aero with integrated graphics.

I bought this.
MoBo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157101
CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103733
RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231098
HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136036
Vista OS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116202

Thanks

I put Vista on my friends computer with intergrated graphics and works and looks fine. No problems at all. Runs really good. You can run aero on it also it looks good.

My laptop has the ATI x200 integrated chip, and runs Vista Premium just fine. I bought it the day Vista came out.

2 replies that contradict each other. LOL

Well either way I bought this stuff already so I hope it runs Areo. If not maybe I will pick up a Video Card.

Anyone else?

Runs fine on a mobile Radeon 9600 on a laptop, and also on a Intel 915 onboard graphics.

i have vista running on an IBM laptop with Intel graphics (integrated).. no aero glass but works fine.

All you need is a video card that works with DX9 to enable aero glass.. which is different from aero.

i have vista running on an IBM laptop with Intel graphics (integrated).. no aero glass but works fine.

All you need is a video card that works with DX9 to enable aero glass.. which is different from aero.

According to these specs the 6100 should be fine, but I know thats always not the case for a fast enjoyable performance.

Well the Vista Premium requirements say:
1 GB of system memory.
Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver,
128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel.

The 6100 integrated specs are:
Integrated NVIDIA GeForce6-class graphics
DX9.0 DVI
Pixel Shader 3.0
Max. shared memory 256MB

If the Intel GMA950 can do Aero without breaking a sweat, I damned well know for sure that Nvidia 6100 chipset can do it just as well if not better. It should even playback 1080 HD content just like the GMA950 can, again, without breaking a sweat.

the DirectX9 w/ WDDM is for Aero Glass only. you should be fine running Aero (which is the non-3D glass pane windows).

If my laptop with Intel 950GM(whatever) can run it, i'm sure the 6100 can too.

the DirectX9 w/ WDDM is for Aero Glass only. you should be fine running Aero (which is the non-3D glass pane windows).

If my laptop with Intel 950GM(whatever) can run it, i'm sure the 6100 can too.

This is the kind of misinformation that keeps causing these kinds of threads to never stop being created, in some respects.

Vista has two schemes aside from the "Classic" ones from Windows XP and prior versions:

Windows Vista Aero, which is the 3D interface, aka Aero "Glass" and offers the transparency, reflections (the "Glass" effect), etc. All the items drawn on the display are 3D rendered textures and allow for all sorts of neat stuff like Live Thumbnails, Flip3D, etc.

Windows Vista Basic, which is the non-3D interface but offers some improvements in the GUI over the "Classic" look.

Aero and Aero Glass are the same thing, so please, stop posting information that says otherwise. Pull up your Display Properties Control Panel, go into the Appearance tab and drop the menu, you'll see a list like this:

Windows Vista Aero (it might say Vista Aero)
Windows Vista Basic (it might say Vista Basic)
Windows Standard
Windows Classic
etc etc

You wont be running the Aero interface but, otherwise you'll be fine.
That's another piece of misinformation. Vista Aero requires only an Nvidia FX5200 card or equivalanet or better to run Aero. If the user has integreted graphics which are equivalent or better and gets blocked from running Aero he/she should increase the amount of RAM allocated to graphics, because that'll be the cause.

Aero needs DX9 compliant hardware with 128Mb or more of graphics memory.

no.. i stand corrected..

shoulda had my doubts on MS's own technet... damn you Microsoft! :D

The last time I tried GMA900 didn't support Aero. GMA950 works though.
Hmmm, I'll have to double check the chipset that was in this PC I used. I thought it was a 915, but I could be wrong.

The GMA950 is the first Intel integrated graphics solution to support Aero's requirements fully. The newer version, the X3000, does the same, but I really don't know what difference it makes because I've seen people post WinSAT scores that come in at 3.4, maybe 3.5 on higher end hardware - and my GMA950 on the Core 2 Duo laptop I had recently was getting solid 3.2 scores, sooo...

Either one works great, as I'm sure that Nvidia 6100 integrated solution will be as well.

/me is back on Vista finally... with a donated P4 2.4 box/1GB/ATI 9550 256MB... runs pretty nicely, and a nice step up from the SGI 320 machine I've been using recently, old P2 450 box.

Only thing missing right now is my beloved SGI 1600SW - just can't attach it to the ATI card without that damnable expensive multilink adapter I've yet to acquire... bleh :D

Back