Has anyone tried one of those displayport to hdmi 2.0 adapters?

tybert7

2[H]4U
Hey all,

I recently decided to forego the mostly side grade to every so slight slanted upgrade to an rx 480 from my r9 290, and instead wait for Vega and just upgrade to a larger display/tv in the meantime with one of those displayport to hdmi 2.0 adapters.

Here is the adapter I got (not the club 3d version):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B6ZOMI...1371820&sr=sr-1&keywords=displayport+hdmi+2.0

And the tv:

Sony - 43" Class (42.5" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV with High Dynamic Range - Black

/tangent

This tv looks pretty phenomenal, but I can't believe I was entertaining spending even more on one of those 49 inch Samsung SUHD tvs for a monitor. This thing is ALREADY making me think it's almost TOO big sitting relatively close (~3 feet). I now think something closer to 40 inches might be the ideal size just do to sheer size at 4k. But this is close enough.

/end tangent

Problem. I hooked up the adapter and nothing displays until after the windows login screen comes on. The bios/board info comes on my achieva shimian korean monitor but not the tv (this persists even AFTER I disconnect the dvi monitor and just use the displayport to hdmi adapter). Not critical, I still have other displays, but ideally I want to be able to see that info on the main screen I am using.

Problem 2. no 4k output, not even an option. I played around until at last I went into the old catalyst control options and set the color output from 10bit to 8 bit. At that point then 3840x2160 resolution showed up.

Problem solved right?

Problem 3. Now that I can set it to 4k, I only have 30Hz refresh! The catalyst control says the display has a max capable refresh of 75Hz but I can tell it's not set at 60Hz, I notice much less fluid pointer motion in at 4k vs 1080p. I have the tv set to game mode, I'm connected to the proper hdmi inputs that support 4k @ 60Hz, even made sure the settings on the tv were enabled that allowed the full bandwidth... unless I missed something else.

Now at this point I'm thinking it might be the adapter, that or perhaps the gpu is not outputting the proper reesolution/refresh and treating it like an hdmi 1.4 signal.

My notebook has a full displayport so I intend to try THAT source later tonight to see if the results are the same, if that fails, I might just order the club 3d adapter and send this one back, even though this one has better reviews. Not completely sure it's the adapter though.

I'd prefer to skip polaris and jump to Vega though if possible. I know if I just got a polaris part I could go straight from hdmi 2.0 on the card, but if the launch of new cards really is imminent, or just a couple months later into 2017, it seems like a waste of money from the card I am coming from.

Any thoughts? Any of you use one of these adapters? Some people seemed to have just connected it and it worked instantly so again, I think something might be wrong with the adapter.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you connecting your other monitor through dvi? i just read that the 290 shares the DP connections with DVI, which could mean that it could probably have bandwidth issues with running both displays. Just throwing that out as a possibility to check w/o expending money.

edit to add:
R9 290 - DisplayPort Triple Monitor Issue | Community
In that thread, by the bottom they mention the DP/DVI connection sharing issue.

Are you connecting your other monitor through dvi? i just read that the 290 shares the DP connections with DVI, which could mean that it could probably have bandwidth issues with running both displays. Just throwing that out as a possibility to check w/o expending money.

edit to add:
R9 290 - DisplayPort Triple Monitor Issue | Community
In that thread, by the bottom they mention the DP/DVI connection sharing issue.

It doesn't share connections, they're completely different interfaces. With the 290x/Hawaii AMD physically dropped a mDP port to give the card two full DVI links. They do not share anything. The 7970 had 1 DVI and 2 mDP. This changed to 2 DVI and 1 DP with Hawaii. Read any review of the 290x that explains the port layout and you will see they have nothing to do with each other.

*The only thing that stuck out from that link is that the OP said that the card/s were defective. And really if that were true what you were supposing then that would mean every eyefinity setup at that time would have failed and there would have been marked uproar. Yet there wasn't, lol knocks on wood. I'm using triple 144hz panels on a 290x myself.

Well since that is in the official forums, it may mean that the display has issues running both connections at once, in the sense that internally it could have bandwidth issues with 4k 60 + other monitor through those interfaces. "After talking with Sapphire they agreed the GPU is at fault and it has to do with the DisplayPort sharing connections with the DVI connections which is a known problem."

Edit:
Someone obviously is touchy as of late, no matter how polite one writes.

Last edited:
Well since that is in the official forums, it may mean that the display has issues running both connections at once, in the sense that internally it could have bandwidth issues with 4k 60 + other monitor through those interfaces. "After talking with Sapphire they agreed the GPU is at fault and it has to do with the DisplayPort sharing connections with the DVI connections which is a known problem."

It doesn't *mean jack that its on the official forum.

Last edited:
Update:

I tested the adapter out of the displayport on my notebook and was still locked to 30Hz while at 4k resolution. I ordered the club 3d adapter to see if that changes things, along with another hdmi cable to test for that variable as well.

If this next round still yields no results, I'll just order an rx 480 and use hdmi 2.0 directly.

My next display purchase is where all this compromise will need to be gone though.

In another 3 years I'll be expecting similar sized 4k displays to have emissive display options like oled or qled. above 1k nits of peak brightness at a MINIMUM, and hopefully topping 1500 to 2k, options to remove sample and hold for the oleds, 120Hz+, adaptive sync, and both displayport 1.4 (or hopefully the successor) and supermhl with adaptive sync support.

This will be the pc gaming jesus (or flying spaghetti monster
spaghetti-costume-300x199.jpg
) display. After that, it will just be about getting closer to rec2020 and increasing peak luminance but the core will still be there for display nirvana.

I use a club 3D dp to HDMI 2.0 on my R9- 280 with the cheap SEIKI 42' 4K TV and it gives me 4K 60Hz and works very well.

And... the club 3d adapter failed too, along with the other hdmi cable I ordered. Sending it all back and just put a 480 on order. Slanted side grade it is.

Sad to hear it didn't work out ..

Looking on various forums it seems to work fine and automatically for many people, but I think some card/MB/display combos and some quirks of bios settings may be causing an issue, and I don't want to spend a bunch of time going down that rabbit hole. Once I sell my 290 and achieva shimian I should still come out ahead overall, sans the tv cost. Still looking forward to Vega though, hope it drops October. If not, then may it at least dump on the 1080.

Everyone was focusing on the adapter or video card, but what about the cable?

How long was the HDMI cable you were trying to use? The cable also needs to be labeled "High Speed" and/or "Premium Certified" to support 4K at 60 Hz.

Everyone was focusing on the adapter or video card, but what about the cable?

How long was the HDMI cable you were trying to use? The cable also needs to be labeled "High Speed" and/or "Premium Certified" to support 4K at 60 Hz.

I ordered cables that were reported to be hdmi 2.0 ready, looked in the comments where basically people left and right were saying now they could drive their tv at 4k @ 60Hz

If I specifically needed to order a cable with premium certified, then oh well. The die is cast.

incidentally, this is one of the two different cables I ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-6...=UTF8&qid=1471536688&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+2.0

I'm betting the cable is just fine, and I'll confirm that today when the 480 arrives.

I'm not THAT hyper-phobic to meddling with graphics settings, but when it gets to the point where the user has to dig into potentially swapping bios in gpus and mainboards to get something to work, that's where I'd rather just not bother and get something where the kinks are ironed out.

I'm starting to feel that way about HDR as well, I just listened to the recent home theater geeks podcast with a guest from spectracal talking about hdr and I came away thinking the entire market is mostly a cluster fuck of standards and support and non standard mastering on disks and streaming. To the point where a reasonable person that can make better use of their time should not worry about getting every little setting right because it's too much work at the moment.

That's this cable vs adapter vs tv issue for me.

I ordered cables that were reported to be hdmi 2.0 ready, looked in the comments where basically people left and right were saying now they could drive their tv at 4k @ 60Hz

If I specifically needed to order a cable with premium certified, then oh well. The die is cast.

incidentally, this is one of the two different cables I ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-6...=UTF8&qid=1471536688&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+2.0

I'm betting the cable is just fine, and I'll confirm that today when the 480 arrives.

I'm not THAT hyper-phobic to meddling with graphics settings, but when it gets to the point where the user has to dig into potentially swapping bios in gpus and mainboards to get something to work, that's where I'd rather just not bother and get something where the kinks are ironed out.

I'm starting to feel that way about HDR as well, I just listened to the recent home theater geeks podcast with a guest from spectracal talking about hdr and I came away thinking the entire market is mostly a cluster fuck of standards and support and non standard mastering on disks and streaming. To the point where a reasonable person that can make better use of their time should not worry about getting every little setting right because it's too much work at the moment.

That's this cable vs adapter vs tv issue for me.
For what it's worth, SecurOMax doesn't appear in the list of HDMI adopters on the HDMI website, meaning the cables they manufacture and sell are not licensed.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/adopters_founders.aspx#S

For what it's worth, SecurOMax doesn't appear in the list of HDMI adopters on the HDMI website, meaning the cables they manufacture and sell are not licensed.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/adopters_founders.aspx#S

And yet they still seemed to work and do the job for the vast majority of people trying to output 4k @ 60Hz. Could it be that even with that there was something missing in the cable? Sure, but I have less confidence of that vs there being some strange and non obvious quirk in the card/tv combination that is causing it to have issues with the adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/WASABI-MANGO-UHD490-49-Inch-Monitor/dp/B01DSZ7CGS

This would serve you so much better in every way unless you wanted a va panel specifically/tv. The icing on the cake is the 40-60hz freesync range which can be lowered to 33-60hz

I did want a VA panel, want better black levels in a dark room, not into bias lights. Also, I almost think 43 inches is too big, 49 would have been way over the top for desk use. I will miss a lot of things though, freesync, and easier connectivity via direct displayport. But this is all compromises on the display side at this point. Nothing hits all the marks.

And....... everything works now.

rx 480 ports did the job. Incidentally, I tested the same adapters with the rx480 with the same cables, and that combo works at 4k/60Hz just fine. So the adapters are fine, there is some quirk with the 290 displayport signal not sending the right thing, probably not all 290s, it might be a vendor specific thing on certain cards and or bios versions. Either way, not going to need to go down that rabbit hole now.

Now I can see youtube 4k in glorious 60fps. Incidentally, the android tv youtube app built into the tv supports 4k or 1080p 60fps, but not both for some reason.

Only through the desktop is something like this able to be viewed in all its glory.

On this larger screen it's fucking beautiful. I wish more games looked like that. I am expecting mass effect andromeda to look even better, and by the time it's out I should have a vega to actually be able to drive games at higher frame rates.

I had two 4K TV's to try the club 3D on, a Sharp 50" and the SEIKI 42" .. It would not work on the Sharp and I think the reason is because of HDCP 2.2 which the Sharp has and the SEIKI uses HDCP 1.4 which means the club 3D may not output HDCP 2.2 .

Running Club 3D adapter with R9 290 and it works perfectly outputting 4K @60hz to a Sony XBR55X850C

I tried the Club 3D adapter with a R9 270 to a Visio M70-C3 and no joy. Spent the better part of a day trying to get it to work at 4k 60.
finally gave up and got a 950. 950 does the job for a htpc and, my daughter got to upgrade from a 4890 so it worked out.

Back