has anyone here used the SplitFish/Eagle-eye controller or similar? PS3

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
I'm going to cave and buy a working PS3 (the one I have now has a broken BRD drive) so I can play some blackops and other FPS's with friends.

Has anyone used one of these splitfish, fragstein or eagle eye controllers for the PS3? I'm a pretty heavy PC FPS player so I'm not sure if I trust some of the online reviews for these things. I assume that it was better to ask in a PC oriented community rather than asking people that are more than likely casual PC gamers as best.

So what are your experiences with 'em? How does it actually work? Any lag? I don't expect 'em to perform on the level of high end PC gaming hardware, but anything has to be better than using the analog sticks. How is the build quality? weight? materials?

any feeedback is greatly appreciated.

Yes people have it and use it. There is very slight lag but the mouse will feel just a bit odd. If your a PC gamer it'll take maybe an hour or two to make it right and you should be good to go. But it will never truly feel like a mouse on the PC.

You can easily tell who has one in Black Ops.

I had a smartjoy frag for the 360 and mauled everyone on my friends list. It was not even funny, they couldn't do anything. The EE is supposedly the best one for the system currently and the zig zag for vertical has been addressed in their forums.

I have only used the Splitfish FragFX V1 (supposedly, the V2 addresses issues from V1) Resistance 1 and COD4 (tested on some other games as well). There is a noticeable dead zone so extremely fine movements with the mouse do not register at all (sniping on a stationary enemy can be frustrating). Also, very fast movement does not register well either. Moving the mouse from one edge of the mouse pad to the opposite edge really fast may only move the cross hair an inch or so on screen. Despite these shortfalls, it did make Resistance 1 more enjoyable for me. As for COD4, it is better as long as you do not make a lot of "panic maneuvers."

Keep in mind that the current PS3 firmware may have locked out the usage of some of these devices. I have never tried, but the FragFX V1 is said to not work anymore (while V2 and up is still supported).

I used the original mouse and I found that one of the buttons (thumb) was to close to the bottom and made it akward for me to use, not sure about the newer revisions but they look the same.

I just remembered about the "Frag" button on the FragFX. You can use this button to drastically slow down the mouse movement on the fly without messing with the sensitivity dial on the controller. This feature does help with sniping stationary objects but I never liked using it, hence why I forgot to mention it in my earlier post.

guess xim is the best way to go for mouse/kb use. think its avaliable for both ps3 and 360.

Ordered the fragfx v.2 SE. Seem to be a lot of mixed reviews, but from what I can tell its at least better than the controller. And I can't aim for shit with a controller, so giving it a shot.

Ordered the fragfx v.2 SE. Seem to be a lot of mixed reviews, but from what I can tell its at least better than the controller. And I can't aim for shit with a controller, so giving it a shot.

I am in the same boat, can't use a controller for fps. I hear the xim 2 is just like using pc kb/mouse.. but I guess xim 3 is coming out soon and is suppose to be even better yet.. waiting for that personally.

I am in the same boat, can't use a controller for fps. I hear the xim 2 is just like using pc kb/mouse.. but I guess xim 3 is coming out soon and is suppose to be even better yet.. waiting for that personally.
Cool, hope so.

I just got home from work in time for the postman to hand me my FragFX v2 SE 30 minutes ago.

Opened it up and tried Resident Evil 5 real quick. Definitely WAY better than the controller. I was actually getting headshots, so I am happy. It does feel pretty close to using a mouse on pc, albeit a cheap ass one. I was just using out of the box settings, supposedly you can fine tune everything with software and get firmware updates.

Overall the whole controller+mouse feels very second-rate though. Buttons can need extra pressure to be recognized as being pushed or held down. Seems that would be a good indication of the cause of all the failures I read about in reviews.

I'm a long time pc fps gamer, I picked up a frag fx to play red dead redemption with my friends. Its just ok, even though the movements are the same as a pc the accuracy is just not there. Its better than a regular controller but not near as good as a pc mouse.

i have a V1 (broken) and a V2, miles ahead of thumb aiming and once again you can adjust sensitivity on the fly with the left controller.

buy it if you are into FPS games for the ps3, its worth it and easily better than the Dual Shock 3.

Same here, I own FragNStein and FragX neither do it for me.

This is the one I'm looking at PS3 Eagle Eye Mouse and Keybord Converter.

41bdqFAmL3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Mouse-K..._4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1290810381&sr=1-4

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back