Has anyone else noticed?

Sunin

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2008
A much higher rate of duplicate work units? I'm seeing I would say a near constant 2 of the 25 gpus processing identical wus but never the same two have the dupes. Did F@H make a change in how many copies of the same wu are distributed?

Hadn't really paid attention to them here. I leave mine mostly unattended unless something drops out or the power takes a long dump. I did notice that I was getting some more of those 5101 A1 Core units (that only utilize 4 of the 8 cores) on my servers late last week though....

I'll have to look through my log files and check for dupes, if I ever get enough time to check them out.

id take a good bet that due to the insane amount of people running F@H is that they are running out of work.. so to make up that difference they are running duplicate WU's..

OR

they are noticing a lot of inconsistent data so the only way to find what is bad data vs good data is that they have to run multiple copies of the same WU.. this is how most BOINC projects are done as well.. they send out 2-3 copies of the same WU have all 3 crunched then take the one with the correct data and toss the 2 that are wrong.. it also helps save storage in the long run..

I haven't noticed, but I don't really keep an eye on that. I'll give it a deeper look tomorrow.

I would expect it's from people folding on cards too slow to meet the preferred deadline. Once the preferred deadline is reached a duplicate workunit is released to someone else just in case the original doesn't meet the final deadline.

I've not checked in the last week or so (on vacation), but yes I have noticed "dupes" on a pretty frequent basis.

[OCAU]EvilGenius;1034436890 said:
I would expect it's from people folding on cards too slow to meet the preferred deadline. Once the preferred deadline is reached a duplicate workunit is released to someone else just in case the original doesn't meet the final deadline.
That wouldn't explain one person with fast GPUs getting multiple units with the same PRCG though, since they wouldn't be missing any deadlines.

That wouldn't explain one person with fast GPUs getting multiple units with the same PRCG though, since they wouldn't be missing any deadlines.

I guess that depends on how smart the assignment server is. If a work unit is duplicated and then reassigned to a faster contributor (due to the slow contributor missing the preferred deadline), but both the slow and fast contributors return the work unit before the final deadline, you could end up with 2 work unit 'lines' with the same run/clone/gen. Unless of course the assignment server is smart enough to recognise that and kill off one line. But I'm not sure about that, can't find any info that detailed.

man would it be cool to see how these results are analyzed/processed/utilized on the other end... :)

[OCAU]EvilGenius;1034440919 said:
I guess that depends on how smart the assignment server is. If a work unit is duplicated and then reassigned to a faster contributor (due to the slow contributor missing the preferred deadline), but both the slow and fast contributors return the work unit before the final deadline, you could end up with 2 work unit 'lines' with the same run/clone/gen. Unless of course the assignment server is smart enough to recognise that and kill off one line. But I'm not sure about that, can't find any info that detailed.
Well, my line of reasoning is that one person wouldn't be assigned two copies of the same WU for that reason, since at worst, if it isn't returned by the deadline, it would be send out to one person. So that wouldn't explain why someone would get two copies.

Well, my line of reasoning is that one person wouldn't be assigned two copies of the same WU for that reason, since at worst, if it isn't returned by the deadline, it would be send out to one person. So that wouldn't explain why someone would get two copies.

What I was saying is that if it's possible to have two lines of the same run/clone/gen running on the same assignment server then it would be possible for one person to get 2 copies, regardless of the speed of their hardware. It's a pretty big if I guess, but possible given the right circumstances.

I started folding recently, and I'm running 2 8800gt's atm. I've got 3 identical pairs of 511 point WUs since I added the second card earlier today. Is this normal? PRCG in FahMon is the exact same for all 3 pairs. Just wondering if I'm getting points for both GPUs, and not just one. I'm absolutely no F@H expert, so it's possible I've done some stupid mistake such that both cards do the same work units, and I get only credit for one of them.

Back