• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Has anyone Crossfired 6870's?

Joined
Jul 25, 2004
Messages
615
I currently have one 6870 and I have thought about getting a 2nd card and I wanted to see if anyone had any experience crossfiring these cards? What could I expect in the way of performance?
 
This is about the best horsepower to dollar performance out there. A pair of these will shred any game out there at 1920x1080 and even 2560x1600 and can be had for under $300 if you shop around and count mail in rebates. The only downside is having to deal with the craptastic AMD Crossfire drivers.
 
I currently have one 6870 and I have thought about getting a 2nd card and I wanted to see if anyone had any experience crossfiring these cards? What could I expect in the way of performance?

What sort of monitor you gaming on, what does the rest of your system look like?

In my signature you can see my system. It runs games at 1920x1080 very nicely with just one 6870, so adding one should be a very snappy gaming system.
 
I have crossfired 6870s in my current system

This setup works great.

I haven't really had any issues with crossfire either.
 
Correct me if I am wrong, but I have heard some horror stories that stopped me from picking up two that had to do with microstutter issues being really prevalent. If you guys say otherwise I might go ahead and pick 2 up for myself. The GTX 285 needs some replacement and my gf's 8400gs does too (she gets the 285 ;)).
 
Thanks for that comparison chart! I think that just made up my mind, I just wish the prices would come down a little...

Just out of curiosity, what PSU are you rocking? I upgraded to the Corsair TX650 V2 to make sure I had enough headroom for my crossfire 6870s.
 
been running crossfire 6870s for a few months now. haven't had a single problem. just upgraded my cpu to a 2500k for an i3 2120 and have a noticed an improvement in Skyrim. might be selling mine soon cause i just got a FT03 and want just one powerful card due to space issues.
 
nope, no one here has run 6870's in xfire ;)

in all seriousness, i ran 2 of em, ran wonderfully in most cases, i just got a nice deal on a pair of 6970s is the reason i upgraded.
 
I'm running crossfire 6870s in an FT03 with no problems and loving it.

definitely waiting for the 78xx or nvidia's next card which fits the bill.
 
how hot do they get in the FT03? would mind posting a pic of your setup?
 
I ran a 6870x2 w/ 2600k at stock, maxxing out SC2 at 2560x1600 (sorry, I don't play any more intense games)
 
My room is usually pretty damn cold so my computer is my heater :p
I kept my 6870s at stock speeds idling around ~30C and highest temps get to 76C after playing some games for an hour or two using auto fan speeds.

I run with the side panel on without the side intake and the antec kuhler is push/pull positive, seems to work out fine for me :D
 
that looks sweet! I can't wait to put mine together. Just need to get a matx mobo.
 
6870 1gb crossfire for me was a microstutter mess. i was very diligent about keeping my vram usage low so i wouldnt run into a bottleneck...even then I would have to keep games in the 60+fps range just for it to feel "smooth".

recently upgraded to a 7970 single card and WOW...40fps-60fps is SILKY smooth on this machine now...

crossfire is crossed out in my book until the microstuttering is gone.
 
This is about the best horsepower to dollar performance out there. A pair of these will shred any game out there at 1920x1080 and even 2560x1600 and can be had for under $300 if you shop around and count mail in rebates. The only downside is having to deal with the craptastic AMD Crossfire drivers.

Completely agree that they are a great price/performance setup, but I don't agree with the second point you made (about 2560x1600) assuming you want to play at fairly high settings. I bought this exact setup last gen and it struggled with most modern games at highest settings and 2560x1600, so I replaced it with a 6950 cfx setup. A bit more money, but to me, it was well worth it, and it's really a must if you're ever thinking of doing any eyefinity at all (though you'll have to use med-high settings). The extra VRAM is nice to have. A pair of 6950s can be gotten for about $400-430, and they offer leagues more performance.
 
Back
Top