Has anyone attempted to replace a subwoofer in their speaker setup?

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
I'm using this Altec Lansing setup that I got a few years back. So far, I really like this setup... the sound quality has been great IMO and love the look of the system. It's not flashy and does it's job.

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-VS3251-Surround-Speaker/dp/B000II0AKO

About 6 months ago I had the system cranked up pretty high (was listening to it from outside the house) and popped the subwoofer. Has anyone tried replacing one? I imagine that upgrading is probably even possible to something that can handle some abuse.

as I said, I'm pretty happy with the system otherwise so I'd really like to salvage it if possible. The thing still sounds great, the bass just has to be turned WAY down

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I blew up a sub on my logitech's a bunch of years ago playing B17 flying fortress with the volume jacked up. 20 some planes X 4 engines + fighters + flak + bombs going off was a tad too much for it to handle.

Logitech replaced the set.

I blew up a sub on my logitech's a bunch of years ago playing B17 flying fortress with the volume jacked up. 20 some planes X 4 engines + fighters + flak + bombs going off was a tad too much for it to handle.

Logitech replaced the set.

I'd be very worried about my hearing if I were you...

OP it's not worth all that time, effort and research trying to figure out how to replace the driver or amplifier in that Altec Lansing sub, unless it's still under warranty of course.

I'd be very worried about my hearing if I were you...
Actually a logitech sub will blow long before your eardrums will.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=292-304

If you're sure that its the woofer inside the subwoofer that is the problem, you could always just replace the 5.25" woofer. The one I linked to above should be cheap enough after shipping. But then again, the set is like less than $50 so... maybe its a good time for a system that can handle more power?

Back