Has anybody else experienced this?

jacuzz1

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey Guys , I am having a wierd experience with 2142 and my 8800gtx.

I have been running Vista 64 Ultimate for quite awhile now and finally got around to playing some 2142. The strangest thing happens. I can play titan maps all day as long as I dont try to go downstairs to the consol and reactor areas. My rig locks up and blue screens with a subsequent physical memory dump everytime i try.

I find this mystifiying. Vista claims its the video driver or the hardware. My rig plays Stalker, CS , Graw you name it flawlessly and even 2142 except for this with the exception of an occasional blue screen between map changes.

I have tried different drivers and memroy timings , stock cpu , oc cpu , etc. I dont get it. How can going downstairs and only that cause the crash?

Any ideas would be welcome.

This defiantly sounds like some type of overclocking or BIOS setting issue. I've seen this type of problem in other games (do a particular thing and then game crashes) and its usually been driver or overclocking related. Vista is a little more particular about memory and oc'ing as yu probably know.

Wish I had a fix for you. Do you by any chance dual boot the machine into XP? I’m wondering if the same hardware would have the same problem in XP.

Please post your fix when you find it and good luck!

My first suggestion would be to run memtest86, BF2/2142 are Ram hogs. So if there is a bad spot in the ram that could be the cause. Then completely uninstall your chip-set and video drivers and reinstall them.

p.s. you double posted.:p

I am currently running vista 64 exclusively but it such a mystery I just might take a spar drive and pop xp on her just to see. I spoke to eVGa about it in case there may be an actual hardware issue since i tried runing at stock speeds and realy conservative timings and votages on my ram but the same thing ocurrs at the exact same moment and step on hte stair case.

THe evga guy tells me its most likely driver related and that there is a new whlq that is going to be released at at moment between now and tuesday

I will try the new driver once released and go from there regarding installing Xp again. I just find it odd since the machine runs fine while doing everything else

I am currently running Vista 64 exclusively but it such a mystery I just might take a spare drive and pop xp on her just to see. I spoke to EVGA about it in case there may be an actual hardware issue since i tried running at stock speeds and really conservative timings and voltages on my ram but the same thing occurs at the exact same moment and step on the stair case.

The EVGA guy tells me its most likely driver related and that there is a new whlq that is going to be released at at moment between now and Tuesday

I will try the new driver once released and go from there regarding installing XP again. I just find it odd since the machine runs fine while doing everything else

Hey man!!

I would uninstall drivers, use driver cleaner, and see if my rolling the drivers back a generation to see if that helps. It's interesting that is single-game releated.

I'll troll some other forums to see if I can find anything else to help ya

Hey man!!

I would uninstall drivers, use driver cleaner, and see if my rolling the drivers back a generation to see if that helps. It's interesting that is single-game releated.

I'll troll some other forums to see if I can find anything else to help ya

Thanks , let me know. Oh and i did all of that but no positive result. I will run memtest just in case and try running a single two gig stick to see what happens

Ok , im suggesting a few lil things you can try that just might work,

(First)Id make shure your GTX is not overheating and your fan is cooling card properly.

You can Use RivaTuner to check your GTX temps and even set fan too High setting. Sometimes while playing heavy textured maps it can push the card to heat up enuff to Bsod in a given area of a game . This will usually happen in the exact same spot of a game 90% of the time due to graphics load, High textures, and depends how hot your GTX is at time of Bsod.
Try running your Fan @100% play game see what happens if its heat related this could fix your Problem.

(Second) when was last time you Defraged your HD?

If you download or install games alot your Hd should be defraged regularly. Some Games will or can BSOD if a disk hasnt been defraged after updates or patches and so forth .

(Third )you say it only happens with this one Game Correct . Try to find updates patches for game and install them .Then refrag HD,while using the same nvidia driver see if it still does it

(Last )if all else fails EVEN NEW DRIVER install XP;)

Vista x64 may BSOD if patchguard is "protecting" your kernel. As some of have said, that would be driver related.

Vista x64 also loads things randomly each time you boot. I know it makes "small" changes in the ram seeking to prevent systems from being identical. It does these things to combat the spreading of worms and viruses.

Those things may impact your overclock. I know under Vista x64 I have problems doing 3.75GHz and under XP and regular Vista I can do it.

I know more than a few fellows that say getting beyond a 390FSB with a 9x multi is rough to get stable on Vista x64.

Ok , im suggesting a few lil things you can try that just might work,

(First)Id make shure your GTX is not overheating and your fan is cooling card properly.

You can Use RivaTuner to check your GTX temps and even set fan too High setting. Sometimes while playing heavy textured maps it can push the card to heat up enuff to Bsod in a given area of a game . This will usually happen in the exact same spot of a game 90% of the time due to graphics load, High textures, and depends how hot your GTX is at time of Bsod.
Try running your Fan @100% play game see what happens if its heat related this could fix your Problem.

(Second) when was last time you Defraged your HD?

If you download or install games alot your Hd should be defraged regularly. Some Games will or can BSOD if a disk hasnt been defraged after updates or patches and so forth .

(Third )you say it only happens with this one Game Correct . Try to find updates patches for game and install them .Then refrag HD,while using the same nvidia driver see if it still does it

(Last )if all else fails EVEN NEW DRIVER install XP;)

Wholy chit batman!!! I have not defragged in awhile . LOL

I will do that tonigth when i get hoime

Vista x64 may BSOD if patchguard is "protecting" your kernel. As some of have said, that would be driver related.

Vista x64 also loads things randomly each time you boot. I know it makes "small" changes in the ram seeking to prevent systems from being identical. It does these things to combat the spreading of worms and viruses.

Those things may impact your overclock. I know under Vista x64 I have problems doing 3.75GHz and under XP and regular Vista I can do it.

I know more than a few fellows that say getting beyond a 390FSB with a 9x multi is rough to get stable on Vista x64.

I am at around 350 without issue but frankly this happens whether i run at stocvk clocks or not, unlinked on the memory or not . I have tried every combo of clocks from stock to 3.4 ghz and ram from 800 to over 1000 . Memtest comes out ok. It may be as simple as the defrag. I hope so. I did inspect the card and fan is functioning, i will install rivatuner tonight to get some insite into temps. I tried ntune some time back but that progy is a cluster fuck. I have been real busy at work but i guess its time to give my rig the tlc it needs lol

From what I have been reading, it may be just an issue with the 8800GTX rendering a glitch in the game.

Again, your not the first it seems, but it's hard to tie your events in with what others are complaining about.

My clan is pretty active, and several have 8800GTX's. Let me know exactly how it happens, and I'll see if we can recreate the issue on our server.

Reinstall and re-patch the game, as another suggested. This game has numerous issues, especially with Nvidia hardware, so I can't say I'm all that surprised. General consensus seems to be that the devs can't code and Nvidia can't write drivers. Of course, none of this is any help to those of us dealing with the problems...

yes, all my hardware checks out, it has to be the game. I am going fresh install of the game to see what happens.

I appreciate all your input. I will report back once i have accomplished this.

Wholy chit batman!!! I have not defragged in awhile . LOL

I will do that tonigth when i get hoime

This is a totally noob question, and i'm ashamed of myself, but what does defragging your computer actually do?

This is a totally noob question, and i'm ashamed of myself, but what does defragging your computer actually do?

When you write new files to your drive (install games, download stuff, whatever) they get written to pretty much any little piece of available harddrive space, all spread out in small sections.

The files being spread out like this in many pieces results in the drive having to seek a lot while reading, which slows it down substantially.

Defragmenting pushes all the pieces back together, making them contiguous, which makes reading them much faster as it avoids a lot of seeking.

While the default defragmenting app that comes with XP and Vista won't do it, others like Diskkeeper and O&O Defrag allow you to force files in to alphabetical order and compact them together further (so files you write later don't get fragmented as badly). This speeds up loading times, including loading Windows, and is just generally a good idea.

Well, thank you all for your suggestions. It was as simple as removing the game and intalling it again with the 1.25 full patch. I had installed the patch but I guess its better sometimes to start fresh with this game at least with Vista 64

The game is now behaving and I am able to enjoy defending and or attacking on the titans again. :D

I have the same problem with 2142. locks up after 20 to 30 minutes. I thought it may be the creative sound card. but look we have the same components. I believe it is a 8800 issue.

I have the same problem with 2142. locks up after 20 to 30 minutes. I thought it may be the creative sound card. but look we have the same components. I believe it is a 8800 issue.

Well, for the OP at least it was just a bad install. Try reinstalling and repatching, and if you still have trouble check your GPU temps with RivaTuner or similar. Might be overheating.

Sometimes games just have strange conflicts with hardware combinations. My San Andreas does this with my 8800GTX. I've completed the game without a single lock-up EVER using a 6800GT, but when I upgraded it now locks up whenever I target anyone. This is after 2 re-formats and an install of Vista, too. I've run into this with older games as well. Sometimes certain games just seem to have quirks with hardware.

Back