• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Has any cpu ever died for you?

candyraver

n00b
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
61
Question.. regarding normal and overclocked CPU's.
I've read from threads here that the spawn of life is like 10 years for a CPU and say, 7 years for a overclocked CPU - ATLEAST! By then you probably have upgraded.

I've never had any CPU that died on me, never mind my AMD K7 that I accidentally gave too much volt :/

Have any of your CPU died? Mostly it's the PSU and Motherboard that breaks before the CPU, any comments?
 
I once turned on my Athlon XP system without the CPU heatsink/fan installed. It went pop after about a second. AMD rma'd my XP 1600+, bless their hearts. :)
 
I think I may have just had my P4 2.4C die on me. It ran great at 3.4 for like a year and a half, the it started showing some instability and no matter what I did it wouldn't stay stable at 3.4 anymore so I backed back down to 3.2. Now the system won't post anymore. I still need to do some troubleshooting cause it may be the motherboard.

I had a Celeron 600 that ran at 1035 virtually 24x7x365 for well over 3 years.
 
i don't ever recall burning up a processor. just lots and lots of boards.
 
i don't ever recall burning up a processor. just lots and lots of boards.

Yea, I think I'm at a little over half a dozen boards I've toasted.

2xSoyo 6BA+
Soyo 6BA+IV
Abit IS7
Abit IC7-G
Abit IC7-Max3

...Those are the ones that come to mind but I have others, just can't remember the model numbers.
 
I burned up a PII that I over clocked a whopping 60 mhz, it lasted just over a year then went bye bye. I gave my nephew my old mobile athlon xp rig and he lasted for a year with it before it blew up, but I know he did something stupid to that one. He just won't admit it.
 
I've used:
P66 (or whatever)
P300
P3 550
P4 1.6G
P4 2.4G NW
P4 3.6G Prescott
P D945

each was averagely used for 1 year, they were all perfect when I sold them. to further explain, my boss has a P3 800 laptop still in service.
 
Only ever had a Nvidia 6800 GT and my Msi K7N2G-ILSR( which the cpu was in still works ) Other than that I cant say I have ever burnt up a CPU
 
I had a s478 p4 die on me, I never checked the mobo so it might have been the cause of the CPU death...

I also killed a e6700 when I touched it with something magnetic :mad:
 
I also killed a e6700 when I touched it with something magnetic :mad:

weird, I've never seen any reports of mangetics destroying cpu before nor has Intel stated any precautions, whats the physics here???
 
My Opteron 165 rig was dead when I came home after being away for the weekend. It had been downloading a movie on BT and I came back to a black screen. All other components were tested fine and the CPU was determined dead and RMAed to AMD. No explanation for what happened though.

The Opteron was naked (no IHS) and SLIGHLY overvolted (1.45), but nothing ridiculous. It had been running like that for a couple months without any issues.
 
I've only ever killed 1 CPU - a 900MHz Duron. And that was only because I was trying to fiddle with the default multi, which involved cutting bridges. I've never killed anything while overclocking, not even when my 1700+ TBred B overheated to 80c+ and shut down/rebooted due to my jerry-rigged 7v molex adapter on a 92mm Tornado (improper contact causing the fan to occasionally stop running).

@CG - your naked Opteron died, you RMAd it to AMD, and they accepted it? WTF?
 
AMD K6-2 266mhz, was running a peltier and had it oc'ed to 525mhz (back then that was insanely good) and was running linux and left it on all night, of course back then windows didnt execute halt so the cpu would stay within room temp but linux of course caused it to get nice n cold and condensation toasted it.
 
Question.. regarding normal and overclocked CPU's.
I've read from threads here that the spawn of life is like 10 years for a CPU and say, 7 years for a overclocked CPU - ATLEAST! By then you probably have upgraded.

I've never had any CPU that died on me, never mind my AMD K7 that I accidentally gave too much volt :/

Have any of your CPU died? Mostly it's the PSU and Motherboard that breaks before the CPU, any comments?

One 1333MHz TBird and One 2600+.
 
I had one Athlon T-Bird 1.2GHz chip die on me suddenly. I've never experienced any other CPU failures since I started working with computers 10+ years ago. Now video cards on the other hand is a different matter.
 
a few years back when i was retarded, i attempted to oc my p4 2.6 to 3ghz. it worked nicely, so i tried to push it up to 3.4 whilst overvolting it. turns out, i accidently undervolted it and my pc promptly died. i had no idea at the time that most mobos had a cmos reset switch, so i basically paid compusa $100 to flip it for me :mad:. at least the resurrected my compy. now i have it running stock as i am to paranoid about ocing this chip again.
 
a few years back when i was retarded, i attempted to oc my p4 2.6 to 3ghz. it worked nicely, so i tried to push it up to 3.4 whilst overvolting it. turns out, i accidently undervolted it and my pc promptly died. i had no idea at the time that most mobos had a cmos reset switch, so i basically paid compusa $100 to flip it for me :mad:. at least the resurrected my compy. now i have it running stock as i am to paranoid about ocing this chip again.

I used to work at Comp USA taking money from guys like you! God I almost felt bad about it sometimes. :cool:

I'd get back in the saddle and OC some more. I'll gladly take $100 from you to fix it should something go wrong. (Remember parts are not included.) :D
 
I only killed a couple way back in the thunderbird days with excessive overclocks.
 
weird, I've never seen any reports of mangetics destroying cpu before nor has Intel stated any precautions, whats the physics here???

I have no idea what the physics are, but its a pretty good story...

So I needed to remount my phase change evap and to do this I needed to unplug both the 24pin and 4pin power cords. When I remounted, I forgot to plug in the 4pin power cord and did not realize it. After many failed attempts at booting, I decided to try a different the processor. So I opened everything up but I could not get the e6700 out because the dielectric grease was acting like a suction on the cpu. I then grabed a pair of pliers which I totally forgot were magnetic and pulled it out by the IHS. I was very gentle with it and there is absolutely no way it was harmed by the phyisical force. After trying my e6300 that I had, I realized I had forgotten the 4pin power plug, and only after repeated attemps to revive my e6700 did I realize that the pliers I used were magnetic...

RIP...
 
I used to work at Comp USA taking money from guys like you! God I almost felt bad about it sometimes. :cool:

I'd get back in the saddle and OC some more. I'll gladly take $100 from you to fix it should something go wrong. (Remember parts are not included.) :D

gee, thanks. i would get a job there, but they require official training of some sort now, which i find find because i saw a tech that "fixed" an mp3 player by smacking it for 5 mins :rolleyes:.
 
I've lost a hard drive or two, but that's all. Well, not true. My tower got hit by lightning, which killed the CPU and mobo, but I don't really blame them for that one. Props to corsair though, the ram in that machine is still good to go (using it right now)
 
I have no idea what the physics are, but its a pretty good story...

So I needed to remount my phase change evap and to do this I needed to unplug both the 24pin and 4pin power cords. When I remounted, I forgot to plug in the 4pin power cord and did not realize it. After many failed attempts at booting, I decided to try a different the processor. So I opened everything up but I could not get the e6700 out because the dielectric grease was acting like a suction on the cpu. I then grabed a pair of pliers which I totally forgot were magnetic and pulled it out by the IHS. I was very gentle with it and there is absolutely no way it was harmed by the phyisical force. After trying my e6300 that I had, I realized I had forgotten the 4pin power plug, and only after repeated attemps to revive my e6700 did I realize that the pliers I used were magnetic...

RIP...

Sorry but you are dead wrong here. Your pliars being magnetic have nothing to do with anything. Magnetic fields (at least those common in households) are NOT strong enough to effect your processor. If your heat spreader popped off, it was due to excessive force. Plain and simple. You shouldn't have handled the CPU by the heatspreader in such a way. You lift the arm of the CPU socket and then lift the cover to remove the CPU. Also the IHS is aluminum and non-magnetic. It's not like the heat spreader would have "stuck" to your pliars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium
 
gee, thanks. i would get a job there, but they require official training of some sort now, which i find find because i saw a tech that "fixed" an mp3 player by smacking it for 5 mins :rolleyes:.

I started there in 1997 and worked there for about two years. They required A+ certification back then. Unfortunately, as you whitnessed with the MP3 player, Comp USA technicians are often required to do things outside of their training and experience. This is often due to inept management and a lack of policies and proceedures in place for various situations that routinely occur.

On another note, Comp USA isn't doing well financially and I wouldn't suggest getting a job with them even if you had an A+ certification. All I will say on the matter is that working for Comp USA doesn't pay that well and for what you have to go through working there, it isn't worth the hassle.

I worked there part time up until a year ago for some extra cash. The company has really backslid in a number of ways. It's best to avoid them if you can.
 
I remember back in the days of Pentium 2 / 440BX overclocking there was a lot of buzz going around about electromigration and how it would kill processors over time.
 
Sorry but you are dead wrong here. Your pliars being magnetic have nothing to do with anything. Magnetic fields (at least those common in households) are NOT strong enough to effect your processor. If your heat spreader popped off, it was due to excessive force. Plain and simple. You shouldn't have handled the CPU by the heatspreader in such a way. You lift the arm of the CPU socket and then lift the cover to remove the CPU. Also the IHS is aluminum and non-magnetic. It's not like the heat spreader would have "stuck" to your pliars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium


Oh no no no... I didnt pop off the IHS... I just lifted the processor right out. I lifted the arm of the cpu socked and lifted the cover, but the dielectric grease was holding it a little tighter than I could get with my fingers. I just used the pliers to get a better grip. I did not squeeze very hard nor did I pull very hard. It looks just as it did the day I got it, but the thing wont boot at all... The magnetic field may not have been strong enough to kill the cpu but IM SURE it wasnt the physical force. I originally thought it was the CPU overheating when my cooling went down suddenly, but I was told that the thermal shutdown feature would have shut itself down before killing itself...

who knows...
 
Oh no no no... I didnt pop off the IHS... I just lifted the processor right out. I lifted the arm of the cpu socked and lifted the cover, but the dielectric grease was holding it a little tighter than I could get with my fingers. I just used the pliers to get a better grip. I did not squeeze very hard nor did I pull very hard. It looks just as it did the day I got it, but the thing wont boot at all... The magnetic field may not have been strong enough to kill the cpu but IM SURE it wasnt the physical force. I originally thought it was the CPU overheating when my cooling went down suddenly, but I was told that the thermal shutdown feature would have shut itself down before killing itself...

who knows...

I'll have to take your word for all of that. I wasn't there. In any case I am sure the magnetic properties of your pliars are not the reason for the CPUs untimely death.

I remember back in the days of Pentium 2 / 440BX overclocking there was a lot of buzz going around about electromigration and how it would kill processors over time.

There is probably some truth to that. Simply passing a screw driver or magnetic pliars near your CPU won't produce this effect. Additionally, we all know that an EM field that is strong enough will kill your hardware. Strong EM fields and pulses are enough to kill any eletronic circuit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_bomb

So while it is true that magnetic fields can interfere with something a CPU, a pair of pliars even if magnatized will not be sufficient to damage said CPU.
 
If you:
have a good mobo
keep temperature under control
be gentle on handling the cpu

then the cpu should last as long as you want it to.
 
On my very first build, I blew up a tbird during installation. Other than that, I have never had a CPU "die" on me during regular or overclocked use after it was installed.
 
Never had a CPU fail on me. I don't overclock much anymore, as processors are too expensive now, and they're so fast, all you're really doing is increasing your benchmarking scores.

I have gone through a few hard drives, however. Just from over-use with torrents, DVD burning to HD, etc.
 
I've never had a CPU die on me. Never had any piece of PC equipment die on me in fact (other than an 80mm fan). I've had hard drives that I suspected were dying but nothing worse than that.
 
I've never had a CPU die on me. Never had any piece of PC equipment die on me in fact (other than an 80mm fan). I've had hard drives that I suspected were dying but nothing worse than that.

While I usually don't end up with hardware failures I have lost a few components over the years. Optical drives, hard drives and a PSU or two. One CPU died on me after an hour or so when I first bought it. Otherwise I've had pretty good luck over the last 10 years or so.
 
We've had like 10 comps since I was a kit at home, and I've had 2 myself, my bro 3, and we never had a cpu fail.

GPU failed once on my bro comp? No reason, after just a year, not overclocked, prolly technical problem.

We've had cheap PSU fail and burn some stuff in the system because of a failed fan. Now, as soon as my psu fan makes noise, I open it and change it.

I've had an IBM hd fail, I'll never buy an ibm hd again. The only HD that failed in like 20 HD I've had. (famous deskstar problem that IBM never recognized). Oh yeah, they sent me another buggy one as an rma, f&&* off.

So basically, not alot of problems for that many comps.
 
I never had a CPU fail on me but I did scrape 2 older athlon chips on a heatsink. If you remember those older athlons they had serious chipping problems because the core was naked.
 
I had a Barton (2800 I think) die on me when an Asus board went out. Ive went through like a dozen motherboards over the years and a 7900gt more recently, volt mods are fun.
 
Anyone remember Cyrix processors? They used to be a competitor to the first Pentium chips... anyway I had a Cyrix 90mhz and I guess I thought the heatsink was optional (my 386 SX 16 didn't need one!) it was noisy so I just took it off. Shortly afterwards the chip burned up

RIP Cyrix 90

oh and what the hell happened to that company?
 
Back
Top