Has AMD passed Intel or just pulled even or still slightly behind

I think on average yields will improve in quality over time and the average stable OC we see today will rise some within the next year or so.

So far that hasn't been the case with Ryzen CPU's of any kind. The clocks we get on day one are the clocks we get on day 366 for the most part. Ryzen CPU's have always been very much frequency limited. 4.1-4.3GHz is practically the wall with them depending on the generation. Sure, you can take individual cores and even some CCX complexes higher, but all core overclocking ends at the range I mentioned.

So far that hasn't been the case with Ryzen CPU's of any kind. The clocks we get on day one are the clocks we get on day 366 for the most part. Ryzen CPU's have always been very much frequency limited. 4.1-4.3GHz is practically the wall with them depending on the generation. Sure, you can take individual cores and even some CCX complexes higher, but all core overclocking ends at the range I mentioned.
Well, I'll remain optimistic. This was my experience with the Stars architecture as I first bought a Phenom II 720 BE that topped out at 3.5Ghz, later picked up a 965 BE which topped out at 3.9Ghz, and last I picked up a golden 980 BE which is 100% stable 4.4Ghz on air and I've done brief boots and Superpi runs at 4.7Ghz with very cold ambient air temps. These were all cooled with just a Scythe Mugen 2 air cooler.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Back