Has AMD fixed monitor sleep/wake issue?

Hey guys, I've had my i5/7970 rig for a couple months or so now and the first night into the next day it locked up and I found out it was because of the monitor sleeping. I shut that off and haven't had a lock up since.

I'm curious, have any of the newer drivers fixed this issue yet? I haven't updated drivers since I built the pooter cuz I've been lazy and frankly didn't see a need to since everything else has been great. I'm just wondering if that issue has been fixed since its annoying having to shut off the monitor separately. Thanks guys.

18c0a9.jpg

been using it with no errors the past few days

Nice! Were you having the same issue beforehand? Are you using the latest 12.6 betas, at least I think that's the latest.

Last edited:
Ya, I believe the issue was resolved with the 12.6 Betas.
I used to have the problem of my monitor not waking from sleep with previous driver versions.
Haven't exhibited it yet with the 12.6 or 12.7 Betas.

I've had it happen a few times with 12.4 but I disabled sleep and use hibernate instead. I'll probably have to find another solution once my SSD comes back from RMA...

Bleh, my monitor wakes back up now but its just a blank screen. I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL and that screen pops up and its ok from there. I also noticed when I come back from that my GPU VRM temp doesn't display on my kb from HWinfo64.

Oh well, better than manually turning the display on and off like before.

Well, overnight had the same lockup as when I first built the system...sigh. Maybe I'll try the 12.7 betas.

I used to never have sleep issues, using the release 79xx drivers up until recently when I used Atiman Uninstaller to clean things up to try the new stuff. Since then I've had sleep issues with all the drivers I've tried. I'm about ready to re-install Windows, but wondered if anyone knew of any files that might have been ripped out that might be the source of this issue.

its not atiman, its a known issue with the drivers.

also, make sure your mobo bios is up to date. There have been incompatablities with older bios'

I removed the 12.6 drivers and installed the 12.7 betas, now I'm giving it the sit test and we shall see yet again.

Welp, a couple of ~2 hour sessions of being off and then waking has been ok with the 12.7 betas. Now just have to wait for the overnight test. :)

Sigh, still had a lockup overnight... I don't know what could be causing the problem, the system only locks like this overnight and only if I enable monitor sleep.

All right. I'm having similar issues, so I'm testing out a theory. When I get home from work I'll see if I found at least part of the answer... Hoping for some positive results.

(I think I adjusted the PCIE power saving crap in Windows [since I'm on a fresh install])

i noticed you have an SB, make sure wake on pcie is set to on in your bios.

I've had this happen to me on my 6870, I usually just unplug/plug in the DVI cable and it comes right back up.

i've actually had this issue with pretty much every 12.x version. i decided to just disable the feature that turns off my monitor. i just run a screensaver with "display off" and "put the computer to sleep" options set to "never". i just have to physically power off my monitor each time. such a stupid bug.

i have a stock sapphire 7970. no cpu or gpu overclocking. sometimes the screen is all garbled up when i move the mouse or press a key after a long period of time. pictures : http://imgur.com/a/gnRXy

apart of me thinks it might be mobo or something else because of the whole 'the computer still responds to ping, and i can access file shares, but my screen is just dark' but it's really intermittent.

i actually posted this on the asus p8z68 mobo thread hoping to see if someone could help me, but no luck.

---------
i've been having this exact same issue as well with a p8z68 deluxe/gen3. i always thought it was my video card, because i couldn't see anything on video, but everything was still powered on. hibernation is completely disabled. i dont even do a full standby, i have a screensaver at 5mins and my monitor 'sleeps' at 15mins idle. but system standby is disabled. my fans and hard drives all run at 100% all the time.

im running the latest bios and crucial m4 ssd firmware not using RST. i recently installed the ati catalyst 12.6(june 12th beta 9.000) video driver for fun. but i've been having this issue since i purchased the mobo a few months ago. regardless of whatever video driver i use or power settings, it still happens.

right now it seems to happen the least, since i disabled the "turn off display after 15minutes" feature and i manually have to power off my lcd screen. this just forces my screensaver to run all the time when im not using the computer. i recently(yesterday) re-enabled the 'turn off display after 15minutes' feature to start troubleshooting this issue. another interesting thing is that sometimes when i get no video, my computer is still pingable which lead me to think that its video related. i can rdp, ping, access c$, from a remote computer and send a shutdown -i command to reboot the computer. the computer reboots and video is back and everything is running normal. sometimes i am unable to ping my computer and i just have to hard reset using the button.

i dont think its temperature related since all my fans are running 100% all the time and hwmonitor/cpuz/gpuz/occt/afterburner all report solid temps during idle and load.

devices connected:
-das keyboard - ps2
-das keyboard - usb (for the usb hub on the keyboard)
-logitech g9x mouse
-3.5mm cable for speakers to sound card
-power cable
-video(right now im using dvi, but i have a dvi->hdmi converter that i have used in the past but it doesn't seem to impact this issue at all)
-network cable connected to the intel nic(realtek nics are disabled)

diags:
i've run prime95 successfully for over 5 days without any issues. with my current xmp settings.
i've run gpu-z render test for over 24 hours.
i've run msi afterburners test for over 24 hours.
occt:cpu/power/gpu tests have all run successfully for over 48 hours.

specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Hard Drive: Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AL/BSBS DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Asus VE248H 24.0" Monitor
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit)
Keyboard: Das Keyboard DASK3PROMS1 Wired Standard Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G9x Wired Laser Mouse
Other: COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AR-GP 200mm Red LED Case Fan
Other: COUGAR CF-V14H Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Fluid) 300,000 Hours 14CM Silent Cooling Fan
Other: COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Fluid) 300,000 Hours 12CM Silent Cooling Fan with Pulse Width Modulation
Other: COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Fluid) 300,000 Hours 12CM Silent Cooling Fan with Pulse Width Modulation
Other: A few more case fans.

bios screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/oomTp
i took these screenshots awhile ago, and the only thing that is different now is that i have disabled C1E and disabled the onboard realtek soundcard. i have installed an asus xonar d1 PCI sound card(running the stock asus xonar d1 drivers from asus.com-i'm not using the asus xonar unified driver) instead.

current configuration:
i'm just using the stock settings. i've never overclocked this machine due to this 'sleep/wake' issue. i figured overclocking would just complicate the issue and thus decided to not overclock anything at all. all the bios voltage settings are stock. i've only made a few changes in the bios to disable the components i did not need. PLL overvoltage is disabled as well. i know the ati 7970 has some issues with the sleep/idle thing too, which just makes troubleshooting more difficult.

since this was my only computer at home, i didn't get a chance to really mess with troubleshooting and just dealt with the issue, but now that i have another computer available to me, i can freely test on this rig and troubleshoot as needed. i've built computers and been in the industry for awhile but i've been in the SBC and VM lately so i haven't touched/researched desktop related hardware.

i've even posted on asus' vip site but wasn't able to get any resolution.
---------

enable power on by pci, and power on by pcie in the 4th to the last screen and see if that helps.

this worked for others last year with the 6900 series and cougar point chipsets.

I looked all through my bios and didn't see anything about power on by pcie, i saw wake or power on by kb or mouse, but no pcie. Anyone familiar with gigabyte boards and where it would be?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. Its called PME event wake or something, and its defaulted to enabled so thats a no go.

Last edited:
I don't think that will work for me since I already had a SS going(matrix) and that definitely used my GPU since when it came on I saw my GPU clocks ramp up to full OC. Its just whenever the monitor goes to sleep I guess windows stops the SS and thats when I get the crash. Whenever its off HWinfo64 displays nothing on my keyboard for GPU temps or clocks, which is telling me my GPU is basically being completely shut down for a period of time, and then has trouble recovering.

I'm back on the RC11 drivers and had a successful sleep last night, but the long test will be when I get home from work. I think it's going to be fine though. For whatever reason the release drivers seem like the only ones that are stable for a Crossfire-Eyefinity setup.

I'm running 12.6 official and no more lockups on monitor sleep.

Plus I finally got a 7970 without coil whine.. I had 2 different ones with coil whine, switched to a 680, then switched back to this 7970 and I'm loving it with the 12.6 drivers.

Well, a little and hopefully not damning update. Its been a couple days now without a lockup, even overnighters. I hooked up an additional screen so I now have my Dell 24" via DVI-D and my old Dell 20" via HDMI - DVI-D and I thought maybe the additional load or hookup config would make a difference but I still had a lockup. Frustrated, I went back into the BIOS to poke around and I found something that said VGA adapter or something like that and it was set to PCI. I looked at the options and an option was PCI-E x16 so I set it to that and haven't had a problem since. Did it fix my issue? For right now it looks that way but I'm not sure how. I wasn't having any holdbacks in gaming or anything if being set to regular PCI would have that affect. I guess time will tell!

I had the same sleep issue, I just started shutting down my computer... Stopped letting it sleep

For me, the sleep issue's only happened if I had to do a hard restart after a freeze or lockup. If I do a proper restart then the monitors start up from sleep as normal.

Back