Harman Kardon AVR 3600 85-Watt x 7.1 $499.99

Ooh that looks nice, I can comment on harman kardon's quality.

My JBL badged HK unit sounds incredible.

Ooh that looks nice, I can comment on harman kardon's quality.

My JBL badged HK unit sounds incredible.
Agree. To me their power is just amazing...one of the few companies that actually deliver (and some times ever over deliver) the power that it is rated for.
I just sold a Marantz I had supposed to give 100W per channel and when tested only did 35W!!! Got a HK rated at 65W per channel and blows the Marantz away.
Gotta love "specs"

as someone who used to sell high end home theater, i can safely say that the old, "real" HK stuff was much much better

I'm thinking about replacing my aging Marantz SR8001 with this receiver or the HK 3490. I only run 2.1 for my PC audio, so the surround stuff is kinda wasted on my setup.

does that mean the current HK are crap?

no... not crap

but watered down and much less "audiophile"? yes
they simply decided to focus on a consumer who doesn't care as much

what i would suggest is go find some old ones on eBay! you'll most likely save cash, and get a receiver with an INSANE level of build quality. seriously. HK used to over-engineer like no other.

no... not crap

but watered down and much less "audiophile"? yes
they simply decided to focus on a consumer who doesn't care as much

what i would suggest is go find some old ones on eBay! you'll most likely save cash, and get a receiver with an INSANE level of build quality. seriously. HK used to over-engineer like no other.
I'd love to snag an older, vintage HK receiver but none of them have a way to connect a powered subwoofer.

i loved my hk avr 254. i used it to power a 5.1 setup. when i added two more speakers i added an emotiva amplifier and simply used the hk as a pre-amp and video processing. sad to say it actually caught fire!

it was setup on a pedestal with at least 8 inches of breathing room in all directions and wasn't powering any speakers. it was also in my basement which is pretty cool to begin with.

can't say all new hk's are like that. it's my one and only unit i've owned. i bought an emotiva preamp processor following the fiasco.

as someone who used to sell high end home theater, i can safely say that the old, "real" HK stuff was much much better

Do you consider their old stuff avr-635 and avr-247
The 635 I feel is a monster so f that is no considered "real" HK (which I think it is) then I am more than happy with the quality and I worked for an online speaker company (no longer around sadly) so I am used to gear and speakers in all price ranges.
Regards

Do you guys think the price will decline on black friday or cyber monday or hell maybe even x-mas? 500 is the lowest i've seen it and its already going back up at 550. Should i buy or wait!? please help me decide!

Do you guys think the price will decline on black friday or cyber monday or hell maybe even x-mas? 500 is the lowest i've seen it and its already going back up at 550. Should i buy or wait!? please help me decide!
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Harman-Kardon-7-1-Channel-Performance-Receiver/product/B002IKKFUA
$500 is the cheapest it has been in the past year, and it looks like $550 (the current price) is about normal. Odds are that it will remain at $550 or drop lower, so there is no reason not to wait and see if there is a sale between now and Christmas.

Back