Hardware you forgot you had?

Vexorg

[H]ard|Gawd
I am in the process of putting together a new box to replace my aging [email protected] T-Bird with something slightly more modern. Since the old box is being donated to someone else in mostly complete form, I had it apart last night to take out a couple of peripherals I plan to keep in the new rig. While I was pulling out the secondary hard drive to transfer over, I accidentally pulled the wrong one by mistake. Much to my surprise, I found out that for 3+ years, I've been running this system on a 30GB IBM Deathstar! I guess they didn't all fail.

Anyone else find stuff in their systems they thought they got rid of ages ago?

Sorry I change the gear in my machine too often. I just move older equipment down the line of computers in my office (currently 6). When they get under a certain threshold of ability (currently for me 1.8 p4 with 512 MB ram) then I donate them to good will.

I do forget about stuff like Fan Mates and particular cables though.

nah, im always moving something around in my computer and i dont have anything interesting anyway....

Digging through my junkpile I found a WD IDE drive....80MB. Still has the original price tag on it...400 bucks.

5 bucks a meg....what would a 400GB drive have cost in those days? 2 million bucks?

Well, I bought a 300GB SATA drive (Maxtor) yesterday for $199, and I'd guess I probably could find it elsewhere cheaper. That comes down to about $0.66 a gigabyte, give or take.

No, but I keep buying stuff and then forgetting that I've bought it, and finding it months later, after I've bought a replacement...

Back