Hardware Suggestions

J-Will

[H]ard|Gawd
Sorry guys, I know you all hate these types of threads. I think I have just done so much research I’ve blown my own mind. I have the storage drives already, and will slowly buy the additional hardware over the next few months. No real rush, will buy when on sale.

Background- I currently have 8 x 2tb Hitachis I’d like to throw in a storage solution. This box will be primarily storage. In fact, it’s safe to say that it will only be used for serving. Reliability/ up time is not mission critical (home use), however still a factor.

OS- I have a Server 08 R2 license in which I am more than comfortable setting up and using. ‘Nix is less likely, however with the Supermicro boars everyone likes, I do like the thumb drive option of not using a SATA port for a hdd.

Hardware Reqs:
Storage- The 8x2tbs it is overkill (RIGHT NOW) space wise, but I would like to have plenty of room to grow (meaning current level of empty space as well as ability to add more drives) so I have not picked a RAID level yet. Redundancy is the main factor. Also, using onboard RAID is not an issue (in fact probably ideal) since the CPU will be limited to storage purposes.
Motherboard- I’m perfectly fine with the Supermicro F series boards everyone likes; though right now I’d need the ability for 8 storage drives with probably another 2 drives for the OS. I’d also like room for growth. Again, onboard RAID is ok here.
RAID- Unsure which level at this point, onboard is fine, expandability is necessary.
RAM- an amount for storage, I assume the min Server 08 R2 x64 needs.
CPU – low power, x64, with overhead for RAID.
PSU – Again, min amount, efficient, ability to handle a few more drives in the future.
Chassis – more than likely a rack mount, though not dead set at all. I do not need hot swappable bay, or the expense of them. All internal hdd mounts are perfectly fine assuming there is good noise dampening, and airflow. Since the purpose of this machine is serving, I’d like to protect my hdds, but I don’t really want to have the FAA stop by my house for thinking jets are taking off from my house. Sound dampening is a factor; cost is also; as well as having room to grow.
Accessories- Expander? SAS cables? Which ones? A little confused in this area.

Main Goals:
  • Meet current needs as well as room for expanded storage
  • Low/ Efficient Power
  • Control sound
  • Overall costs - as it is for a home, funds are in fact limited. Nothing over the top.

I have come to the conclusion that I would most definitely like a rack mount chassis. I would like to put this server, my current server (tower chassis, will convert to rack), a switch, and a power conditioner/ UPS all in a rack cabinet probably positioned under a desk. Again, sound is an issue, so I'd like the cabinet to be noise dampening, but well ventilated.

Also a little confused as to how I would connect 6+ drives to the Supermicro X8SIL-F without an expander card. Any insight?

It'll be a data storage server, but I do not foresee anything over 10 drives.

Also a little confused as to how I would connect 6+ drives to the Supermicro X8SIL-F without an expander card. Any insight?

It'll be a data storage server, but I do not foresee anything over 10 drives.

8 Data drives and 2 OS drives. How would I connect those without an external card, using the motherboard's ports?

You need an add-in controller. If you are getting a rackmount and are set on the Intel 3400 hardware look at the Supermicro X8SI6-F for example.

You need an add-in controller. If you are getting a rackmount and are set on the Intel 3400 hardware look at the Supermicro X8SI6-F for example.

Yes, I am looking at that mobo and probably an i3. I'm just a little fuzzy on how to connect so many drives cheaply.

I guess I need a quick how to, on connecting so many drives and putting them all in to a single RAID array for data storage. Using onboard for the OS drives isnt a problem. There just are not enough slots for all the drives when combined.

Back