Hardware Requirements for VR Gaming with Oculus Quest 2

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been kicking around the idea of picking up an Oculus Quest 2 and dabbling in VR gaming a little bit. I almost exclusively play racing games; iRacing, Assetto Corsa, BeamNG. Gaming at 1080P currently. I'm curious how my current system (see signature) would handle gaming with a VR headset.

IMO it's a far better experience with an over specced system as VR stutter festivals make people motion sick and tend to turn them off to VR. Minimum FPS for VR to me is 72 but 90 is a far better experience.

I've been kicking around the idea of picking up an Oculus Quest 2 and dabbling in VR gaming a little bit. I almost exclusively play racing games; iRacing, Assetto Corsa, BeamNG. Gaming at 1080P currently. I'm curious how my current system (see signature) would handle gaming with a VR headset.

Not great to be honest. The 5600XT isn't a great option for the Quest 2. It's not powerful enough, especially for sim racing. Also, the 5600XT has poor encoders which will further reduce the performance on the Quest 2.

In your situation I would look for a second hand wired PC headset. You will probably have to go second have, the Rift S or maybe a Valve Index if you can find one at a good price. The Reverb G2 would have been a good option as well but not sure how long a G2 will work for now that Microsoft are withdrawing support for WMR.

Actually there is one more option. The Pico 3 Neo Link. Not sure if you can still get them new. But this would probably be your best option of those all those mentioned.

Not great to be honest. The 5600XT isn't a great option for the Quest 2. It's not powerful enough, especially for sim racing. Also, the 5600XT has poor encoders which will further reduce the performance on the Quest 2.

In your situation I would look for a second hand wired PC headset. You will probably have to go second have, the Rift S or maybe a Valve Index if you can find one at a good price. The Reverb G2 would have been a good option as well but not sure how long a G2 will work for now that Microsoft are withdrawing support for WMR.

Actually there is one more option. The Pico 3 Neo Link. Not sure if you can still get them new. But this would probably be your best option of those all those mentioned.

Thank you for that honesty.

I thought you could do a wired link with the Quest 2?

Thank you for that honesty.

I thought you could do a wired link with the Quest 2?
You can, but it is a usb-c connection that still encodes the video. The only time I do that is with racing games and Elite Dangerous as the cable is beyond annoying and a good way to destroy a usb-c port.
Something like this usb-c vr router is a far better option, but like they said the encoding overhead is not optimal on a 5600XT.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
forget the quest 2 and get the 3. the edge to edge clarity is worth it. I think you may need better hardware. sim racing in VR is pretty sweet. I've tried ACC and didn't like it much, F1 22 is what I've been playing. Automobilista 2 is considered the best for VR from what I've read.

Back