• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hardware RAID not working

BeavermanA

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Apr 27, 2006
Messages
3,317
Got a couple of the 2TB Samsung drives last week, but I can't seem to get RAID 1 working with my board/ssd. Updated to the latest BIOS, cleared CMOS, only changed the RAID enable options in bios and installed Win7 Ult x64.

Set up the RAID 1 in the bios, and Win7 installer detected the raid, but it seems any time I have RAID enabled, my pc will crash at the windows boot logo.

So I disabled all raid options in bios and pc works as normal. Set up a software raid 1 in administrative tools disk management for my 2TB drives.

So my question is with this software raid 1, will I be able to disconnect one drive and go into Windows and have just 1 drive functioning with all the data still on it? What if I pull one drive out and stick it in another pc with Win7, will it also show all data as normal?
 
what raid card? don't say it is your motherboard.

Eh? Don't know much about raid terminology. I'm just using my motherboard, the evga classified x3 SLI 760. Using the Intel Management for raid in bios. I also tried the jmicron controller which works with SATA ports 8+9, but Windows was then unable to detect the drives in disk management.

Basically, my problem was whenever I attempt to set the SATA controller in bios from IDE to raid, Windows crashes at the boot logo, even with everything disconnected except my OS ssd.
 
windows is trying to access a device which has changed, and a bug somewhere is crashing it. this is not unusual for what you are doing, unfortunately. turn back now and use them as two regular disks to avoid problems like this.

to solve your problem, uninstall all your controller drivers, restart, set the controller to its new configuration, reinstall new drivers.

if you use your imagination, you can see how the above instructions could cause problems if your system disk or other data happen to be running on the same controller. this is one of the many reasons a high quality system of generic components managed by professionals may not run everything off one controller. disks aren't the only thing that stop working
 
Back
Top