Hardware RAID 1 Array with 2x SSD's - ACHI or RAID in BIOS?

apim

Weaksauce
So I've got my new system built and don't know which setting to use for my RAID 1 array constructed of 2x SSD's. All of the info I can find says to use AHCI for SSD and RAID for RAID, but nothing mentions what setting when you mix the two of them together. Furthermore, I am running hardware raid (3ware 9650SE-12ML) to operate my RAID 1 array.

1. Does the BIOS setting even matter since I'm running my array through my hardware raid controller?
2. If the answer to the above is yes, which setting is ideal? Common sense tells me RAID is ideal, but does that selection come along with any negatives that might persuade me not to run RAID 1 for my OS?

Thanks!

EDIT/UPDATE: After doing some further research, which I'm not positive is accurate or not, but I feel that it is, it appears that there are a number of issues with my setup...
1. The RAID Controller does control the drives hooked up to it and my 9650SE doesn't support AHCI.
2. Intel SSD's don't support TRIM while in RAID1 config, which would make my SSD lifespan extremely short. Thus, nixing my entire plan for RAID 1 SSD. Guess I'll be exploring the Clonezilla route instead. Thx to everybody who read through my post and attempted to offer support.

Last edited:
Back