Hardware question for specific network setup (Partially NAT)

joehopf

n00b
Joined
Feb 23, 2011
Messages
8
From my ISP Modem I have one RJ45 Port.

On this port one IP-Address is advertised using DHCP.

However from my ISP I also have been dedicated an IP-Range beside that DHCP-Address that I need to use for one (maby later more) server.

Now I need a router that does what a typical home router das. Get an IP-Adress and apply NAT to a lot of clients in a local network, to connect them to the Internet. Wlan is also needed, but can be seperate.

But in Addition to that I need my servers, to be connected to the Internet with their static IP-Adresses from the IP-Range I got.

I think I need a Router that can disable NAT for certain IP-Adresses. Am I correct in that assumption? And can you recommend a router model with a good value (it should ideally have 8 Ports or more)

Or is there a better way? I thought of maby putting a small HUB in front of the (between router and Modem) router and connect my servers directly to that. Would that work?

I never really had more than one public IP Address before.

Any Help is appriciated.

If not, what network equipment/setup do I need for that?
 
From my ISP Modem I have one RJ45 Port.

On this port one IP-Address is advertised using DHCP.

However from my ISP I also have been dedicated an IP-Range beside that DHCP-Address that I need to use for one (maby later more) server.

Now I need a router that does what a typical home router das. Get an IP-Adress and apply NAT to a lot of clients in a local network, to connect them to the Internet. Wlan is also needed, but can be seperate.

But in Addition to that I need my servers, to be connected to the Internet with their static IP-Adresses from the IP-Range I got.

I think I need a Router that can disable NAT for certain IP-Adresses. Am I correct in that assumption? And can you recommend a router model with a good value (it should ideally have 8 Ports or more)

Or is there a better way? I thought of maby putting a small HUB in front of the (between router and Modem) router and connect my servers directly to that. Would that work?

I never really had more than one public IP Address before.

Any Help is appriciated.

If not, what network equipment/setup do I need for that?


what you're asking for is a standard router. not a home router, a regular router. only home routers are designed with NAT turned on by default (and basically required). I'm not sure what your budget is, but you could probably look at some of the very low end cisco or high-end linksys routers. i'm sure there are others, but i'm not too familiar with the home/SMB routers without doing more research.
 
what you're asking for is a standard router. not a home router, a regular router. only home routers are designed with NAT turned on by default (and basically required). I'm not sure what your budget is, but you could probably look at some of the very low end cisco or high-end linksys routers. i'm sure there are others, but i'm not too familiar with the home/SMB routers without doing more research.

this.

if you want the server to have an external IP, you will either need to hook a switch between the modem and router and hook the server into the switch, or get a more business-grade router.
 
If you step up into business grade routers...they support having multiple public IP addresses on their wan interface. Example of an entry level business grade router, the Linksys/Cisco RV082. I think the smaller RV042 supports multiple WAN aliases also...haven't tried it on an 042.

Or, you can run a *nix router/firewall distro...I do the same with a few clients, and our office, with Untangle.
 
Back
Top