Hardware for PfSense

What causes MBUF Usage to jump up in usage? I mean yours isnt high but mine is 39%

Just so you know you don't need very fast hardware for it to be a router with that 300/20 line of yours.

My router:
Dell OptiPlex 755
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2,4Ghz
1x 2GB DDR2-800Mhz
8GB SSD (This machine sits in the living room, so rotational noise would not be good. I don't like USB sticks for an OS, so SSD it is. It was just laying around, so why the heck not :p.
Onboard Broadcom NeteXtreme Gigabit adapter (Used for WAN)
2x Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit adapters (1 for LAN and 1 for later use, maybe DMZ)
PfSense 2.3.2

This all runs a 50/50 fiber line. It will be upgraded to 300/300 in the near future, so I think it will hold.
I live in the Netherlands, it's all fiber here (the whole city), and Coax is not really an option.
The best thing about fiber is:
1. No worries about lightning storms
2. Nice ping times (not that I care. Everything I do on my network, isn't latency related)
3. Speeds up to 1000Mbit. Yes, 1Gbit/s. You read it correctly :p

Last edited:
My pfSense hardware goal was quiet, performance, and low'ish wattage. I made sure it was a fanless design-no chasis cooling and active coolers for the PSU. So, basically I purchased this motherboard: http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/QC5000-ITXPh/, a (legit) Intel i350-T2v2, 128GB SSD, the chasis (it was on sale, but an excellent chasis for this) http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-itx/elite110/, and a Seasonic platnium rated fanless PSU. It cost a little few hundred total, some rebates took the price down a little, and my cost in power has not gone up at all. Just a side note, I also use my R7000 as my AP with XWRT-Vortex.

Forgot to mention, that memory speed is very important for networking so I made sure that there was 1600 DDR support, and purchased a low latency CAS 9 8GB DIMM for firewall. It was so inexpensive there was no reason not to, and the fact that this can be turned into HTPC memory at 8GB was a perfect overkill.

With Comcast IPv6 works perfectly and at 240Mbp/s it only hits 12% with my simple network. I can easily add more work to it, but haven't as of yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
What causes MBUF Usage to jump up in usage? I mean yours isnt high but mine is 39%

Multi port cards and packages such as PFBlockerNG can increase the MBUF. You most likely never need to, but you can easily increase the size of the memory

Back