the Plan is as following:
Get a new board and CPU for my ESXi system due to wanting to virtualize my old WHS but not wanting to invest in new HBA's, which means I will need a board which supports vT-D and has (at least) 2 PCI or PCI-X slots (reusing old PCI-X SuperMicro SATA HBA's)
As the WHS storage performance is basicaly single disk anyway, I am not too worried about using PCI slots.
Get some new memory for the old ESXi host and use that system for a 2K8 R2 install with the Hyper-V role. (kind of an all-in-one box we sell to small accounts, so I can play with it a bit)
my ideas:
New ESXi host:
- ASUS P8B-X at 170
- Xeon E3-1230 at 215
- reuse the 4x4GB from the current ESXi host
- reuse the USB stick from the current ESXi host
- reuse SM SATA HBA's from current WHS as pass-thorugh to the WHS guest
ReNew Hyper-V host
- reuse ASUS P8B-WS
- reuse Xeon E3-1235
- Kingston 2x8GB ECC at 185
- pull some disks and a controller from the shelve for local storage
total cost (ex. shipping) 570
cases, powersupllies etcetera I already have.
I chose the 2x8GB so I have room the expand the memory on the Hyper-V host at a later date if that turns out to be needed, but I don't expect that on the short term.
ideas? suggestions?
Get a new board and CPU for my ESXi system due to wanting to virtualize my old WHS but not wanting to invest in new HBA's, which means I will need a board which supports vT-D and has (at least) 2 PCI or PCI-X slots (reusing old PCI-X SuperMicro SATA HBA's)
As the WHS storage performance is basicaly single disk anyway, I am not too worried about using PCI slots.
Get some new memory for the old ESXi host and use that system for a 2K8 R2 install with the Hyper-V role. (kind of an all-in-one box we sell to small accounts, so I can play with it a bit)
my ideas:
New ESXi host:
- ASUS P8B-X at 170
- Xeon E3-1230 at 215
- reuse the 4x4GB from the current ESXi host
- reuse the USB stick from the current ESXi host
- reuse SM SATA HBA's from current WHS as pass-thorugh to the WHS guest
ReNew Hyper-V host
- reuse ASUS P8B-WS
- reuse Xeon E3-1235
- Kingston 2x8GB ECC at 185
- pull some disks and a controller from the shelve for local storage
total cost (ex. shipping) 570
cases, powersupllies etcetera I already have.
I chose the 2x8GB so I have room the expand the memory on the Hyper-V host at a later date if that turns out to be needed, but I don't expect that on the short term.
ideas? suggestions?