hardware difference between pci express 1.0 x16 and pci express 2.0 x16?

lamarth

Limp Gawd
I've searched the board and most of the discussions involving PCI Express 1.0 x16 and 2.0 x16 involve performance- however my question is a bit different....

I've got a HTPC that recently bit the dust- it was running a Asus A8N-VM CSM motherboard. The case is a Silverstone LC11 (a low profile case), which uses a daughterboard that plugs into the PCI Express 1.0 x16 slot, providing side-mounting of PCI Express 1.0 x16 and PCI cards.

I'd like to use a newer mATX board (that is, something with a newer, faster, lower wattage CPU) as I'd like to rebuild the HTPC to handle HDTV recording.

The main problem I'm running into is whether or not the newer PCI Express 2.0 and up are compatible hardware-wise with the PCI Express 1.0 daughterboard that was included with the Silverstone. Would the daughterboard be compatible with the newer versions of PCI Express 2.0 and up, or should I stick with looking for a motherboard with PCI Express 1.0?

Any ideas would be appreciated!
David

PCIe is backwards compatible 100% and forward compatible as of this point in time. Only issues you should run into would be the negotiated speed, which goes based off the lowest common denominator. All the riser card/cable is supposed to do is extend the slot and pass-through to another connection unmolesting the PCIe standards.

Any failures would be directly the riser/cable extender not being built to the standard.

Thanks for the replies - I didn't need to use the daughterboard PCI Express slot on the Asus motherboard as it had onboard video. I think I can probably find a newer mATX that has similar features, so in that case I can probably get away without having to use the daughterboard PCI Express slot. But it's nice to know that if worse comes to worse I can just get a simple video card to use in the daughterboard PCI Express slot.

David

Back