Hardware Decisions...

smm9127

n00b
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
3
Ok, I upgrading my computer.. It has an Athlon XP 2000+ and a very old motherboard.. Anyways, I was surfing on Newegg and I found 2 good processors but I'm not sure.. Here the links to the 2 processors..
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-486&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-390&depa=1

The first one is a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and the second one is AMD Athlon XP 3200+ "Barton"

Now I know your thinking the 64 is better but I also need to buy a motherboard. Since both of the processors are about 150$ and my money cap is 220$ so I need a decent 50-70$ motherboard.. For the 3200+ I found http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-489&depa=1

But I could not find one for the AMD 64 because a decent one is about 130$.. Also, the motherboard needs to be microATX.. So if someone could help me on making my decision I'd be very happy

- SMM
 
my guess is that you don't have, nor do you have the funds for, pci-e. looking at newegg, there are some pretty decent mATX motherboards for socket 939.

Found for $89.00 - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-485&depa=1

you'd have more luck with a socket 754 mobo, with agp, in mATX form, of which newegg lists 13 boards. the price range on those is 63 to 78. leaving you 160 for a processor, which could net you a 3000+ newcastle retail
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-486&depa=1
 
I'd suggest saving some money for a A64.. unless you really need something new - I'd try looking for a pretested Barton (preferably mobile) with a nice OC potential..
 
A 754 system is already obsolete, but that does make it cheaper. If you're planning to upgrade this system in the future, though, go 939. They'll be coming out with dual core processors this summer/fall, so you could get a really low-end 939 now and then get a nice fast dual core then.

But, if you plan to stick with this system 2 or 3 years, just go fast 754. Get a 6600 or so on agp, and stick to it.
 
unhappy_mage said:
A 754 system is already obsolete, but that does make it cheaper.

Yeah a 754 system is "obsolete" by our cutting edge standards, but an athlon xp system is even more so. Understand that socket 754 systems are still very powerful, and hold their own pretty well in most situations. I think there is some sort of misconception that if hardware isn't absolutely current and ready to be upgraded then it is total crap. Heck, i am still reasonably satisfied with my desktop...
 
r00k said:
Yeah a 754 system is "obsolete" by our cutting edge standards, but an athlon xp system is even more so. Understand that socket 754 systems are still very powerful, and hold their own pretty well in most situations. I think there is some sort of misconception that if hardware isn't absolutely current and ready to be upgraded then it is total crap. Heck, i am still reasonably satisfied with my desktop...
Yeah, I understand that (and I'm happy with my p4 2.4) but it might not be a great idea to buy a 754 now if you plan to upgrade it later in any way. AGP is going out of style, and 754 isn't getting any new processors for it. It's a cheap, fast dead end, granted, but a dead end nonetheless.
 
Back
Top