• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hardware Change Question

blackcode

n00b
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
12
I am currently running an Intel based system. An Asus P4C800-E motherboard with an Intel 2.8C (@ 3.08Ghz). But I want to move to and AMD based system. I am going to get this processor and this motherboard. I have a 160GB hard drive with windoze XP and aboout 10GB of files. My question is that, if I replace my motherboard and processor, will that affect any of the data on my hard drive (other than the fact that I will need to install new drivers for the motherboard hardware)? Thanks.

blackcode
 
You will need to re-install windows so back up your files to ither a separate partition or on DVD or whatever.
 
You *may* be able to get your current Windows installation working by doing a "repair" installation, but your system won't be quite right until you do a proper wipe and reinstall of Windows. Best case you'll get reduced performance, worst case it just plain won't work. If it works at all the most likely result is you'll experience reduced performance and stability issues.
Personally I wonder why you're doing such a small upgrade in the first place, but if it strikes your fancy don't let me stop you. If you don't have them already I'd put a really nice (20+" LCD or 22+" CRT) main screen, dual monitor setup, 6800/X800 series vid card, and fast (Raptor or perhaps SCSI) HD ahead of a 3.08->3200+ upgrade.
 
Reformating really isin't a problem for me, it's just that it would be a lot easier if it was not required. I'm not really upgrading, I'm building my dad a computer and he wants Intel, but the specific processor and motherboard I wanted to use are becoming very scarce on the Internet. So, we agreed that if he bought AMD hardware that was comperable to my Intel hardware I would trade him. I've never used AMD before and I do some gaming, so I figured what the hell. I have backed up all of my files to another computer on my home network. And I have a ViewSonic P95F 19" CRT monitor that I'm very happy with, although I do see another one in my future... And a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB which although is not the best out there is plenty for my needs. Mmm, why not just post all the specs:


Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel P4 2.8C @ 3.08 Ghz
Sapphire ATi Radeon 9800 PRO
OCZ Gold PC-4000 512MB
Samsung 16x DVD-ROM
Plextor PX-708A DVD-+R/W
Zalman CNSP7000A-Cu
Sony 1.44MB Floppy Drive
Western Digital 160GB SATA 8MB Buffer
Enermax 460W PSU
Kingwin KT-424-BK W/ Window
Logitech Elite Keyboard (Black)
Logitech MX310 Optical Wheel Mouse
Micro$haft Window$ XP Professional
Logitech Z5300 THX 5.1 Speakers
Viewsonic P95F+B 1280x1024 100Hz

Although the mobo and CPU are soon to change. Thanks for your help.

blackcode
 
Back
Top