hardrive noise

chuckm1020

[H]ard|Gawd
so ive been trying to figure out this one high pitch whine i was hearing. i thought it was my watercooler or something. its been doing it for about 2 weeks. i found out it was my wester digital 80gb hardrive used for storage. i took the side off and my ear leaded me to that drive. so i unplugged it and yup it stopped, so it was that drive making the noise. why do u think its doing this, the drive was working fine with no problems.

High pitched whines are pretty common. Just worry about the ones combined with a grating noise, as that either means head crashes or busted bearings. The latter is actually just an annoyance, drives can operate just fine with one or two bearings thrashed.

ive heard that heat can cause drives to make noise, but not 100% on that...try to cool them a lil more and see what happens. wouldnt hurt to try.

my case is pretty well cooled. and the hardrive is only a 5400rpm, and right when i turn the computer on even when its cold itll make the noise

If you lost a bearing you'd be more panicky than you are. It's a very distinct whine with a grating that's rather nerve wracking the first time you hear it. If all you have is a whine it's probably nothing. Monitors whine at high frequency, drives whine at high frequency, even some capacitors and VRs whine (signing motherboards, video cards, etc.). Most people don't notice it, some do. Should you want to be on the safe side, backup your data like usual and run Maxtor's diagnostic suite on the unit. It will probably tell you everything is fine.

Back