HardOCP Question on SSD

I'm referring to this page exactly: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4256/the-ocz-vertex-3-review-120gb/4

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1586111

They may be the fastest thing around but I don't think I would ever support a company that pulls shit like this, and it's not the first time.

I do not see your point here. As in this and with many of Anand's experiences with OCZ he comes out applauding their commitments. OCZ is going well and beyond their responsibility here as a company. No other company is agreeing to do the same thing. The "cluster f" as you put it was only created by OCZ trying to put out an even better version of a product they already had out on the market. So basically you are upset because OCZ is trying to improve a product? Sure it gives a variance in performance, but you also may get better performance than what you were expecting. And if you don't, guess what? You can trade it in and get better performance. In addition OCZ is re-SKUing their products to denote the exact type you are getting. They are also agreeing to work with Anand to perfect their testing methods.

You want to tell me what other company is commited to any of these things? This is why I have been using OCZ products almost exclusively over other types. Their support has been exceptional and their engineering teams have been very knowledgeable and approachable about problems (i needed specialzed RAM to work with one of my OC systems in the past). Support to me usually weighs much heavier than price and performance.

As for my experiences, I bought an early Vertex 2 and have had a few initial problems with it posting properly. I got a few back and forths initially from OCZ support, but then in their forums found the head of their SSD department posting suggestions. I e-mailed him directly and he got back to me the next day, asked me to ship the part directly to him rather than to the OCZ support headquarters. He tested the drive, restored it to factory default, updated it to the latest firmware, and overnighted the drive back to me. The whole process took less than a week and my drive has worked flawlessly with faster speed and performance than I was expecting. And yes, I checked the serial numbers and everything to make sure it was the exact same drive. I have not had a single problem with that drive since and it is still blazing fast.

Realize also that the type of drive you get will also determine much of the variance you might see in speeds. Expect more variance with the cheaper drives you find out there. They are so cheap because they get lowest bidder NAND companies.

Back