HardOCP / HardForum MIGRATION PLAN

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
HardOCP / HardForum MIGRATION PLAN

HardForum

August 8 – August 15
o August 13 – 14 (out of town)
o Server Build & Development (Forums Web & Database)

August 18 – August 21
o Testing

August 22
o Deployment

HARDOCP

August 24 – September 4
o Server Build & Development (HardOCP Web) / New OCP and CMS

August 5 – September 7
o Testing (New OCP/CMS)

September 8 – September 12
o Deployment (New OCP/CMS)

September 14 – September 19
o Server Build & Development (HardOCP Database)

September 20 – September 24
o Testing

September 26 – September 27
o Deployment

Thanks for the heads up. I would guess there will be some actual downtime in some of those periods... ah, the wonderful world of migration... thank some higher power I'm retired.

I am confused i thought you just moved to a new server? and what exactly does "New OCP and CMS" mean? all new site design/style or just backend stuff?

could you give us some more detailed info

I am confused i thought you just moved to a new server? and what exactly does "New OCP and CMS" mean? all new site design/style or just backend stuff?

CMS is short for content management system. Pretty much the system they use to update the website.

OCP just means hardocp's website. The main one. See here for more info

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=873723&highlight=OCP+stand

At least I think thats what he is talking about.

No, we just bought new servers, they have not been deployed fully. Although we have had a few purchases in the last year that are already in production. but this is a BIG move for us hardware-wise.

OCP = HardOCP.com CMS=Content Management System

No new site design. Probably 24 months off.

Thanks for the heads up on the work, hope everything is going smoothly.

We are aiming to get the 8 new webservers rolled out this weekend. Those will contain 24 virtualized webservers that will handle HardOCP and HardForum. Hardware load balancing will be installed next week hopefully so you will see each site pull to only one IP from there out.

I always wondered about that. Do you guys use a commercial CMS? Or did you develop your own?

ew migrations... that's one word you do not want to hear in IT in the webhosting world. Good luck with the database dump / import !

We started a VMware migration project at work back in 2007 and are finally seeing the benefits of our work this year. Of course since VMware decided to release ESXi for free we are now evaluating that as a new option. Currently we run all VMware Server VMs and love it. It's nice to hear the [H] is moving that direction. It truly adds a lot of benefits for redundancy and ease of management. We also run all Dell servers and I really like the 1950s and 2950s.

Out of curiosity do you guys plan on having centralized storage using an iSCSI SAN or NAS solution? That's the last piece we are evaluating currently. It should make our lives easier and the solution better but it's not cheap. Cool stuff Kyle, thanks for sharing.

Out of curiosity do you guys plan on having centralized storage using an iSCSI SAN or NAS solution? That's the last piece we are evaluating currently. It should make our lives easier and the solution better but it's not cheap. Cool stuff Kyle, thanks for sharing.

Right now, no, but that is the next logical step.

Back