Harddrives hanging in 'My Computer'

Kaos_Drem

Gawd
So i have a setup with 12 internal drives and in the past day at least one of the drives has been having issues. I don't know which drive because the only way to see the hanging in action is to open my computer, enter a drive then go back, and i can hear one of the drives act like it is spinning up.

The windows event viewer doesn't show anything wrong, and the smart status of the drives seems fine as well. I don't really want to lose any of the data on my drives and i don't like the problem that is being exhibited.

Anyone have any idea as to what the problem is?

Can you access the inside of the computer? If so you could always test each drive 1 by 1 by unplugging all but your OS drive, powering on, testing, turning off, plug in 1, test, shutdown, repeat.

i had thought about that, but testing 12 drives individually doesn't sound like much fun. I'm hoping it is just an OS thing since the last time i formatted was january.

The drives seem to be shutting down, and then upon access trying to spin back up. I haven't made any OS changes that would make them do this, anyone know how to check for this?

You should be able to see which drive has failed in the motherboard's BIOS or the hard drive controller's BIOS if you are using an add-on controller. Also, you may just take a look at each drive's LED light to see which one is different from others.

If the drive has not completely failed yet, you have to find out which hard drive is producing the abnormal noise. Backup your data and replace the problematic hard drive as soon as you can.

I would unplug all drives and test each one separately.
You'll spend more time asking about it than it will take to do it.

Back