harddrive rattling

yariman

n00b
hi i made a new build a few months back. I saw quite a few suggestions by people to put the hd in back to front for better cable management. This is ideal for me as i have a tiny antec tower. Anyway due to lack of space i could only get one of the two screw holes on the side of the hd unit to becoem visible at any one time so proceeded to screw the unit it in as so and did so tightly. anyway recently i have have started to sometimes hear slight but audible vibrations/rattlings and its definatly the hd and wondering if its bad for the hd unit. If so im going to have to put the hd back in 'orthodox' style which will mean making some room which is a bit of a pain.

whats your take on this?

It would help us if you told us which hard drive and which case you were using. But your instincts may be correct and you may have to reposition the HDD so that the connections face towards the rear of the case. (Most cases are designed to accept hard drives the "traditional" way, though there are a few exceptions.)

sorry i have an antec 300 case and Western Digital Caviar WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM Hardrive.

the unit seems to vibrate about a bit but not a lot but audible. Im guessing hds and vibrations arent so good for a units life length so im going to have a go at just putting it in teh right way. I just need to move move some of the chunky power cables out of the way.

Same HDD I have.

Some guys here use rubber bands to suspend their HDD's in their 5 1/4 bays. No rattling then!

Back