Harddrive Problem

carblow12

Limp Gawd
Windows has been locking up. I can't even run taskmgr.exe it gives me a error. Can run anything from the run command. And can't run anything microsoft. Always gives me errors. I installed windwos 3 times same problem. MY friend is saying its my harddrive. What do u think. If so what should i do?

leading suspect would be RAM
test it with memtest86+

then run through the rest > Corruption 101
Power and Cables being other leading suspects especially if your installing with the default IDE drivers and havent loaded the specific mobo's busmaster drivers (mobo install CD)
youd test the HDD with the manufactuers Diagnostic, but even if it fails it could still be the mobo channel or the cable

and when you get it sorted out, test it > Integrity Testing (scroll down a tad) there is an ap to test the cable if the drive is known good

the trick is crossparting components out to known good components
so the HDD on a different board with a known good channel, busmaster drivers and cable
the cable to the same with a known good HDD ect

the Ultimate Boot CD contains alot of HDD manufacturers utilities (though in DOS, some are also available direct with GUI interfaces) along with memtest86+ and lots of other useful aps, freeware ISO

based on the description however there is a very high probability of it being the RAM

it could also be something a simple as a borked CDROM
(which was the case the last time I posted this)

OK i just switched ram from what i using before on ym old computer. And same problems. So its not my ram. U think i should RMA my harddrive?

not till you definatively ID it as the problem
what error codes did you get from the manfucaturers diagnostic?
you crossparted to known good cables? and channel\busmaster drivers?

switching RAM doesnt rule out the dimm slots, mobo, or power
testing the RAM in place with memtest86+ tells you if everything is OK
if its not youd retest in a different box to cross check it was indeed the RAM, if there was a problem, well RAM is sensative, and you might just recreate the problem with the new RAM, outside of Electro Static Discharge during installation or handling, the single greatest cause for killing RAM is bad power

ESD & Electromigration Rant
Watts dont mean Jack

troubleshooting is all about definatively ruling out potentials ;)

then the next step would be the manufacturers diagnostic
if it fails, youd try the HDD in a computer you know is good (cables and channels) if it fails again RMA if it doesnt youve eliminated it
and your down to drivers, power, cable, mobo, CDROM, CD
which you can then hopefully crosspart to test
(with the exception of the mobo)

Back