Hard drives spinning down, everything freezing

First off, the specs:
Asus p4c800 Deluxe
1gb (2x512) OCZ DDR500 ram running @ 200 MHz
P4 2.4C running @ stock
Ati radeon 9800 pro @ stock
Audigy 2 ZS
74 GB sata raptor (OS drive)
120 GB IDE Western Digital drive (master)
250 GB IDE Seagate drive (slave)
Sony IDE DVD-Rom (master)
NEC IDE DVD Burner (slave)

Last week I replaced my motherboard with a p4c800 I bought from someone off of the forums. After a few hiccups I got a fresh copy of XP up and running. I was plagued by frezes and found out my sound card was sharing IRQs with the mobo's ethernet port, so I moved slots and that seemed to solve it.

But a new problem has arisen. After idling for a few minutes, my IDE hard drives will make the "click" noise that you normally hear when they stop spinning. If I try to access the data on the drives (through explorer or another program) after this stop, everything freezes. If I try to shut down, it'll start the process, but everything still freezes as it "prepares for shut down." Neither of the drives is plugged into the promise controller, which is disabled.

I've checked windows power options and have it so that the drives are never put into a suspend state, yet this still happens.

anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? could this be another problem caused by the audigy?

Yes, I have.

A lot of the stuff is set to auto and doesn't seem like it would affect driver operation like this. Things like LBA Addressing and Ultra-DMA type.

The one thing I did try to change was some setting for "32-bit data transferring" which was initially disabled. That changed nothing.

Did you check your power management settings in both windows and the BIOS?

If everything is set properly, I'd test the drives' fitness with whatever HDD diagnostic tool the manufacturer provides.

It may also be a bad board (IDE Controller) or IDE cable.

Back