Hard Drive with XP Installed...need more?

TheFoo

n00b
I currently have two HDs installed, the master being an outdated joke of a drive, but I just didn't want to mess with Windows, it has w98 installed. Now, I'd say I'm about average when it comes to computers in general, but software...well, I try not to even think about it...so, my question is...

I have a HD from a seperate comp with XP installed on it, for some reason I doubt it'd be as simple as slaving my current slave to it, and starting it up to work fine and dandy with XP. Or maybe it is. I'm truly lost. How could I go about this?

I'm new here, I figured this was the correct forum, sorry if it is not.

There's a few areas preventing this from working. First, if you have it as a slave drive, the computer will still look to boot from the master, which is your Win98 drive. Secondly, if you rearranged the drives so that the XP disk was the master, it still may not boot, because it was installed with differing hardware.

If you want to use the XP disk in that computer, read through the sticky on using Sysprep. That will let you remove the drive from the old computer, and pop it in the new.

What forum is that sticky on? I did a seach and could not seem to find it.

And to clear it up, it would be the master. Guess I'll still need to mess with it. I hate messing with Windows. Nothing good ever comes of it. :(

Back