Hard drive window mod

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently picked up a dremel and a 2gb hard drive. I have some plexi laying around, so I thought I might as well try a hard drive window mod.

Is it true that you can't get one spec of dust in there? If so, how do I keep dust out?

thanks

well, first off, id look for a guide to doing this.

the video i saw included a guy going into the bathroom, turning on the shower with hot water to create humidity to make the particles in the air drop to the ground. then he opened the puppy up and started his job.

the worklog i saw was a dood doing the hard drive window mod inside a home made incubator. he had a wooden frame and clear plastic wrap kind of stuff to keep the dust and crud out while he had gloves attached to the plastic.

i've heard of the shower trick before. i don't remember where i saw it, but i know that you have to turn on a HOT shower get the place steaming and some other stuff. sorry i wish i knew more about it. i don't think that i have the link anymore.

Want to window mod your hard drive??? Why don't youo just walk on over to your local NASA space center and rent a space shuttle for a few days and gather some friends as crew members and mod it in space??? I don't think there's any dust out there...just watch out for comets!!! :eek: :eek:

I once read a guide and what it said was to unscrew it all, use the shower trick and slip the drive without the top in a zip lock baggy, cut and fit your window, turn on the hot shower, take the drive outta the baggy, replace the top on the hdd

Metallica_Band said:
Want to window mod your hard drive??? Why don't youo just walk on over to your local NASA space center and rent a space shuttle for a few days and gather some friends as crew members and mod it in space??? I don't think there's any dust out there...just watch out for comets!!! :eek: :eek:

WTF?

ChappyChaps11 said:
I once read a guide and what it said was to unscrew it all, use the shower trick and slip the drive without the top in a zip lock baggy, cut and fit your window, turn on the hot shower, take the drive outta the baggy, replace the top on the hdd

Sounds like a good idea! I'm gonna try it! Wish me luck! I'll have it done by next week. I'll also post back and tell you the results.

yeah, i think so.

then again, what the hell, the HD was given to me for free. For all I care, it can get a piece of dust in there and blow up. :p :]

Just so it is known, the drive failure rate after doing a HDD window is 98%. The shower trick is good for removing some dust but the humidity that will colect in the HDD is just as bad as the dust. Moisture+electronics=bad.

Kckazdude said:
Just so it is known, the drive failure rate after doing a HDD window is 98%. The shower trick is good for removing some dust but the humidity that will colect in the HDD is just as bad as the dust. Moisture+electronics=bad.

oh, and did you know that 43% of statistics are made up on the spot?
:p

Back