Maxtr0sity
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Dec 24, 2005
- Messages
- 287
I've been using a 3TB Western Digital Green drive (WD30EZRX) for the past five years to do weekly backups. The hard drive sits in a caddy and connects to the computer through a hot swap bay - straight SATA, not USB. This past week's backup took a lot longer than usual, more than the typical 45min it takes. After waiting for 4 hours, I took the drive offline and ran a full Western Digital diagnostic test, all clear. I then proceeded to zero out the drive and attempt to load data onto it again. Windows was reporting transfer rates that start out over 100MB/s, but quickly drops down to less than 5MB/s. I opened up HD Sentinel and is currently going through a full read/write test to test for bad sectors, but the transfer rate again is <4MB/s.
See screenshots below:
At this rate, the test would take nearly a month to run, which is unacceptable.
I've isolated the problem to this drive, and not with the hot swap bay. Is this a dying drive? If so, wouldn't it have SMART failures? Or report bad sectors immediately?

See screenshots below:
At this rate, the test would take nearly a month to run, which is unacceptable.
I've isolated the problem to this drive, and not with the hot swap bay. Is this a dying drive? If so, wouldn't it have SMART failures? Or report bad sectors immediately?