• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hard drive stop and computer freeze?

tempoct

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Messages
120
Hi,
It happened 4 times now since yesterday. The hard drive was working fine until there's some noise (sound like it "parks" the head to go to sleep) and then after a few seconds every was frozen. I have to reset the computer.
Anyone ever experience this problem?? I did scan all sectors but didn't find any bad physical address. I'm running Win XP Pro latest patch and HDD is Seagate 7200.7+ 160GB PATA (ST3160023A). I have been using this configuration for very long time with no problem.

Any recommendation is appreciated!
 
What power supply do you have, and how warm is the drive while it's running?

 
I have Seasonic S12 PSU, run very stable. The HDD temp is in operating ranges, 42-44 celcius. In fact, don't see anything overheat so far....

oh, one more thing. The HDD LED constantly lits when this happen.

unhappy_mage said:
What power supply do you have, and how warm is the drive while it's running?

 
Good! Sounds like you've got the two primary problems under control, then. Most people who have problems with hard drives have them because of one of those issues. I'd suggest you check the SMART level of the drive; I think SiSoft does that. Also, you may want to check for corruption; run chkdsk on it. The ubcd might also be a good idea; it has the seagate tool for checking drives on it, if I recall.

 
Hi,
I tested it with Seagate SeaTool, it got some file structure error. I fixed it (chkdsk/f, did once already when first problem comes up) and I open the case, look around for something obvious. Didn't find it. I use compress air to clean everything, which didn't really look dirty.....

Now I left it run some batch process last night, the machine still alive!! So, hopefully, the dust bunnies were in the wrong place and cause some static? I run my machine through the UPS but my building is kinda old and don't really have true grounding....

Hopefully, it was the dust. Also, hope it stays that way. I will run some more stability testing tonight... maybe Prime95 or something...

(sadly, my backup machine, a Compaq/HP lappy is under services too!!)
 
Back
Top