• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hard drive speed

QKSILVR73

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jan 15, 2006
Messages
402
I use my PC for gaming and would like faster game starts, next level loading etc.. Is it better to go for a RAID 0 with 2 hard drives? Or would I be better off getting a larger harddrive at 7200? I know about the WD raptor but for cost effectiveness it's moot considering the small size of the drive..


Thanks

Jason
 
it sounds like you're really undecided if the raptor is moot because of size.
Do you want speed or size?

I use two 150 raptors in raid 0 for my OS and games and another larger drive for storage.

Whatever you get the increase in game loading will be minimal.
 
I was about to get two WD 150gb 8mb cas 10,000rpm but I went with 2x250 16mb cas seatgate SATA2 I thought about stability from the Raid arrey for a min so I have no idea if wd is any good even better than what I have. did thought about overheating form from it more power 24/7 10,000rpm not to sure. any faster or better than what I have I kinda wondering the same.plus speed I wonder compare SATA2

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1263380
 
Check out my sig.

The two Raptors in RAID-0 (mind you these are the last of the old Raptors, slower than the newer ones) are about 2 to 5 times faster than the other HDD.

When I was playing hellgate london on the 250GB drive, it was waaaay slower than the RAID drives. Worth your $$$. Also, if you can get a good RAID card (PCI-E x4 or x8 with memory cache), it will increase your load times by at least 20%. I've been saving to get one (but mine will have to be on PCI-E x1 :( ).

Also, with RAID 0, you can get a 5.9 score in Vista for the drives! :D

Worth your time (less of it that is) and money!
 
Raid0 master boot. in games just a hair little faster loading from BF2 game not much. on oblivion it faster, call of duty 4 went alittle faster from loading.guildwar went faster,i can tell my reading faster from copying dvd data or writeing dvd data even like loading up windows seam little faster but texture draw loading from data to CPUto memory to GPU alittle faster not much depens if you overclock the computer the hard drive that are in raid will go up alittle too. even hardware like faster CPU will get better speed out of it and even memory ram bus speed so it all depens. but yeah it faster in some ways, a little extra boost compare single drive but i don't know going and waste 2x150 WD 10,000RPM compare 2x250GB or more at the price of one WD 10,000rpm GB hard drive in raid i heard alot people say it not that worth putting in the WD 10,000 rpm speed for raid in SATA. so i have no idea.space is why it got me. and half of a price is cheaper never know what this co can do later in this yr putting out SATA2 10,000k hard drive never know.if you got the money i would go for something like a SCSI card for PCI-E x1 or better or PCI and get a real fast 15k SCSI hard drive. and we talk about speed,
 
I have a 780i with 2 8800 GTS's and a Fatality soundcard. So I don't have any room on the mobo for that. :( So I am limited to the Raid on the mobo.

As far as writing to the HD from like a DVD I can wait. It's the game loading and level changes I really want a little quicker.
 
Raid0 master boot. in games just a hair little faster loading from BF2 game not much. on oblivion it faster, call of duty 4 went alittle faster from loading.guildwar went faster,i can tell my reading faster from copying dvd data or writeing dvd data even like loading up windows seam little faster but texture draw loading from data to CPUto memory to GPU alittle faster not much depens if you overclock the computer the hard drive that are in raid will go up alittle too. even hardware like faster CPU will get better speed out of it and even memory ram bus speed so it all depens. but yeah it faster in some ways, a little extra boost compare single drive but i don't know going and waste 2x150 WD 10,000RPM compare 2x250GB or more at the price of one WD 10,000rpm GB hard drive in raid i heard alot people say it not that worth putting in the WD 10,000 rpm speed for raid in SATA. so i have no idea.space is why it got me. and half of a price is cheaper never know what this co can do later in this yr putting out SATA2 10,000k hard drive never know.if you got the money i would go for something like a SCSI card for PCI-E x1 or better or PCI and get a real fast 15k SCSI hard drive. and we talk about speed,

A (modern) SCSI card on PCI-E x1 would totally bottleneck. That's why I said to use a x4 or x8 card at least.

Also, why use SATA-II? Today's top (non-server-class) drives can't even saturate SATA-I, letalone SATA-II. Unless you want plug and play or eSATA (which is worthless for a non-data backup RAID setup), why would you go with SATA-II?

All of the Raptors are on SATA-I, even the newest models. Hell, their fastest sustained data transfer rates don't go above 85 to 90MB/s, so using SATA-I at 150MB/s is more than enough.

I suppose SATA-II's burst transfer rates could be higher, but not by much. I would take two raptors in SATA-I over two mid-end drives in SATA-II.

But that's just my opinion from my experiences.

Heh, if I had the physical room, I would go with SAS with some 15K rpm drives. :p
 
Back
Top