• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hard Drive shorting out compter

jdogrich

n00b
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
2
My computer was running completely normal to begin with. Today I received two new sata cables that are better quality than the cheap red ones that came with my motherboard. I installed them to both my hard drives (WD Raptor & Seagate Barracuda) and then tried to reboot the computer back up. The fans turn on for about half a second and the computer dies.

Now if I disconnect the Seagate HD the computer will start up with my WD Raptor, but every time I put the Seagate back in my computer shorts out (even if I go back to the original setup). Why is this happening? Is my HD wreaked?

Setup:
Asus P5AD2-E
P4 3.6Ghz
1GB Kingston Hyper X DDR2 PC5400
74GB WD Raptor
160GB Seagate Barracuda
ATI X600 AIW
Aspire 500W PSU
 
Usually when I see this it's trouble with the drive's circuit board. If you don't have any important data on it, RMA for a new one.
 
Try resetting the CMOS state. Refer to your motherboard manual for instructions on how to do this.
 
xonik said:
Try resetting the CMOS state. Refer to your motherboard manual for instructions on how to do this.

That won't help. At all.

The board, or other circuitry inside the seagate drive is toast. RMA it, problem solved.
 
That's odd. It has worked for me in the past--that's why I recommended it. But whatever, it's not my problem.
 
Back
Top