Hard drive sharing over the net

nwahs000

Weaksauce
Howdy-thanks in advance. What I would like to do is have a laptop at our facility that houses a set of documents and we want to be able to be able to access these documents from an internet connection from anorher computer. What's the easiest way to do this??

Windows Live Mesh is what I use. I have it Sync my Documents folder to my laptop, desktop, and with the cloud, such that if any one of those things fails I have a couple backups.

But that assumes ownership of all the devices...

You could host remote desktop. Register with DynDNS and get an IP tracker, and just remote desktop into it whenever you want these files, but, assuming you use a copy of win 7 pro to do that, anytime somebody connects it'l boot the current user off the laptop.

Windows Homeserver is another way to do it, but you wouldn't want to run that as a for-use operating system.

I mean it sounds like ideally what you want is Sharepoint hosting, but thats expensive.

Whats your use case for these documents? Why cant you let a file hosting company store them?

We basically would like the ability to edit certain documents from home and keep them updated on the work computer. Any free programs that accomplish this?

Sharepoint would be the best option, but since you're looking for free that wouldn't work...

If you want to run this direct form the PC itself, WarFTP.

Back