Hard Drive setup, Raptors, Raids, etc

h0mez

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 6, 2006
Messages
444
I have 2 160gbs HDs in a Raid 0, I set it up a while ago for fun. But I want some better performance. I was thinking about getting a raptor to and just running my OS and programs off of it and using the 2 160gbs drives for storage, music movies, etc. So what should I do, I was thinking of a couple solutions

- Get a 3rd 160gb Hard Drive and a raid 5 controller, speed boost and backup

- Get a 74gb raptor, and use the 2 160's in a non raid or 1 for backup.

- Get a Raptor, and use a raid 0 of the 160s for storage, and maybe partition a part for backup.


Any suggestions?
 
- Get a 3rd 160gb Hard Drive and a raid 5 controller, speed boost and backup
Raid isn't backup, and raid 5 with 3 disks won't be any faster than raid 0 with 2.
- Get a 74gb raptor, and use the 2 160's in a non raid or 1 for backup.
Probably the best idea if you have anything important.
- Get a Raptor, and use a raid 0 of the 160s for storage, and maybe partition a part for backup.
This'd work too.
 
I'd go raptor for primary, one sata for your storage. Backup an image of your Raptor onto your sata drive in case it fails. Buy a USB enclosure for your second sata drive and hook it up once every few weeks and backup your first SATA drive onto that. Keep it out of your house.

In this way, you get fast OS performance with the Raptor, have a drive for storage and you have redundancy in case the storage drive fails and you have a disaster recovery strategy.
 
Back
Top