Hard drive setup in new rig

Right, so i'm planning on building a computer pretty soon. I am thinking of getting a 36gb 16mb cache raptor for the OS (to isolate it from everything else) and a 150gb raptor 16mb cache for everything else (i.e. games) since i wont need a 'storage' drive.

Would this setup be okay? I am hoping for faster boot times from having the OS on a seperate 10k drive, would this be an adequate solution. If not, would anybody like to make any suggestions. I am not going to build a RAID setup, by the way.

Thanks in advance.

What, and have everything on the same drive. I would like to go this route (since i would save a fair bit of money), however i would like to have the OS on its own drive so it isn't affected at all by any other programs installed. How much hard drive space does vista require?

The recommended requirements for Vista state;

40 GB Hard Drive with 15GB (yes 15GB) of free space.

I assume it may vary depending on which version you plan to use.

I can't see why not. Although not having installed Vista myself, I'm not sure whether it actually takes up less than 15GB.

If your whole system drive is going to be the 36GB raptor, then there doesn't seem to be a problem with your plan so far.

Ok, thanks. I'm just looking for the fastest possible combination of hard drives to reduce boot time and load time within games. So i thought keeping the OS seperate from everything else would be a good start since if everything craps up it will be easier to reformat etc. Also, i don't wan't games clogging up the OS drive and vice-versa. So, ultimately, would this setup be the fastest, like i explained above, or is there something i could do to improve it (like add another hard drive for swap file)?

Back