Hard drive reverted to factory default

CeZemal

Weaksauce
So a friend of mine has a relatively old laptop, running Vista and modest hard ware. Recently, he told me he's been seeing spybot pop up a message and each time he'd hit deny. What those messages were, I don't know, but he went on to tell me the other day his laptop, after denying a message (whether directly after or shortly after), his laptop rebooted and came back up with everything gone, restored to factory settings. He didn't hit a restore button or anything, apparently this all happened outside of his control.

However, he explained to me that when he went to make a folder on his desktop with the same name as he did pre-wipe, it said the folder already existed (yet clearly no longer did). This leads me to think all of this files and what not are all still on there, windows is just being a pain. Anyone have any ideas on what just happened and how to fix it? There's a lot of data on his hard drive that's pretty important (school and work related etc), and he came to me for help and I'd hate to have to tell him sorry there's nothing I can do (so I came here! :) )

corrupt profile maybe?
virus infection that hides folders?

Hmm that could be it. He mentioned having only about 100GB of his hard drive now in this new wiped system. Could be a corrupt profile. Any other ideas?

Browse to the deskop using a command prompt or a windows explorer... see if anything is there. Active Desktop + malware/virus = confusion.

Browse HD with total commander and enabled support for hidden files, if they are there, they will be shown.

Browse HD with total commander and enabled support for hidden files, if they are there, they will be shown.

or alternatively, instead of using a 3rd party app, select "View hidden files and folders" in Folder Options if it isn't already.

Back