• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hard Drive Qs

fatpirate

n00b
Joined
Dec 22, 2006
Messages
34
Building a new system...6300, 2gig ram, stock intel board and as such will not be overclocking or tweaking much. Will the 150 GB Raptor offer much performance in gaming beyond one of the newer 7200.10 16mb hdds? I plan on running a two drive config 1 os/prog and 1 data...

Should I get one raptor (os) and one 7200.10 (data)
or will two of the 7200.10s perform close to that setup?

Also will be using Windows Vista Ultimate does that have any known issues with particular hdds?
 
the most common is smaller single fast high rpm os drive ie what you are looking at. RAID1 for faster performance but the difference though I'm currently doing so isn't breathtaking. Then of course one of those 7200 w/big cache as your secondary saved pron and stuff drive. Consider taking the money that you would raid1 your OS and RAID0 your secondary drive. And surely, the bigger the secondary drive the higher need to raid0--high risks and all. gl and happy newyear.

Should I get one raptor (os) and one 7200.10 (data)
or will two of the 7200.10s perform close to that setup?

simple answer, get one raptor and one or two (for raid) 200g or higher 7200.10.
 
Pkirk618 said:
the most common is smaller single fast high rpm os drive ie what you are looking at. RAID1 for faster performance but the difference though I'm currently doing so isn't breathtaking. Then of course one of those 7200 w/big cache as your secondary saved pron and stuff drive. Consider taking the money that you would raid1 your OS and RAID0 your secondary drive. And surely, the bigger the secondary drive the higher need to raid0--high risks and all.
Huh, what are you suggesting here? :confused:

I would suggest 1 single raptor and a big drive to store your information and frapped games :)
 
considering the time I posted that, I think I meant something similar to yours. However, I did try and convey that storage should be 2 drives mirrored as in RAID-1...what I typed was incorrect with regard to the type of RAID formats for the primary (OS possible RAID0 for peformance) drive and secondary (x2 drives/storage in RAID 1) drive(s). Obviously, I confused myself lol and you.
 
Should I put my Page file on the Raid 1 Setup desrcibed above to improve performance?
 
Honestly, I haven't messed with my pagefile since the days I had less than 512mb of ram. If there's any benefit from it today, I can't tell you. I let me system manage it.

Maybe someone will enlighten us both.
 
Back
Top