Hard Drive mounting in my new Lian-Li v1010

HardDrugsUser

Limp Gawd
Hi,

Yesterday I was examining the HD mounting mechanism in my new Lian-Li v1010
The case uses rubber rings to mount the HD and by this preventing vibration.

v2010u2.jpg

This got me thinking about a static charge and after a short search in Google for "harddisk grounding" a lot of stuff came up.

A grounding tab provides a positive ground connection between the drive and the system's chassis. In most systems, the hard disk drive is mounted directly to the chassis using screws so the ground wire is unnecessary. On some systems, the drives are installed on plastic or fiberglass rails, which do not provide proper grounding. These systems must provide a grounding wire plugged into the drive at this grounding tab. Failure to ground the drive may result in improper operation, intermittent failure, or general read and write errors.

Appears to be that I will have to attach a separate wire to the body of my Hard Disks and the case to prevent static electricity from building up :confused:

Any thoughts?

---

Is this really an issue? "harddisk grounding" comes up with some patent websites and other junk, and that alasir.com website where you got that quote. Looking at that website I wouldn't be taking advice from it.

I've never heard of this and I don't think Lian Li would design their cases where you have to stick a wire to the body of your hdd.

Grounding in modern hard drives is provided by the ATA or SATA cable across the ground pins. (There's a number of them.) Most drives also utilize the ground connection on the power connector.
It is unnecessary to ground the body of modern hard drives separately from the PCB or motor due to design changes.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't ground yourself before handling drives, since electrical shocks can easily jump to the PCB and damage it. However, there's insulation between body, motor and PCB these days that largely protects the electrical side of the house.

Last edited:
Is this really an issue? "harddisk grounding" comes up with some patent websites and other junk, and that alasir.com website where you got that quote. Looking at that website I wouldn't be taking advice from it.

I've never heard of this and I don't think Lian Li would design their cases where you have to stick a wire to the body of your hdd.

You are right. The sites are not the most popular ones, but that is why I am here, asking for advise.

http://books.google.com/books?id=PAhoiuYAMnkC&pg=PA294&dq=harddisk+grounding+tab&as_brr=3

Last edited:
Grounding in modern hard drives is provided by the ATA or SATA cable across the ground pins. (There's a number of them.) Most drives also utilize the ground connection on the power connector.
It is unnecessary to ground the body of modern hard drives separately from the PCB or motor due to design changes.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't ground yourself before handling drives, since electrical shocks can easily jump to the PCB and damage it. However, there's insulation between body, motor and PCB these days that largely protects the electrical side of the house.

Thanks! This helps a lot!

All I see in that doc is "For proper grounding, install the screws in the hole positions as shown."

No where does it say you need to stick a wire to your hdd for grounding. I really think you are overthinking this whole thing.

All I see in that doc is "For proper grounding, install the screws in the hole positions as shown."

No where does it say you need to stick a wire to your hdd for grounding. I really think you are overthinking this whole thing.

English is not my mother tongue and probably I misinterpret the meaning of grounding.

Back