Hard drive keeps turning off and on

vaca232

Weaksauce
I keep hearing one of my hard drives turn on and off randomly. It still works fine, but I'm a little worried. Could the drive be on its way out? It's a 2 year old 300GB Western Digital IDE drive. Any thoughts? thanks!

most probably its your options in power management settings. go to contol panel then power options. there you will see drop down options like "turn of monitor" ; "turn of hard disk" select "Never" beside the Hard disk box. it will stop your hard disk randomly on-off problem and keep it running always.

I changed power settings, but the disk is still turning on and off. I'm a little worried something's wrong with it, but it still works perfectly..

I changed power settings, but the disk is still turning on and off. I'm a little worried something's wrong with it, but it still works perfectly..

My advice would try backing it up just in case. Are you using XP or Vista?

As I am having the same problem with Vista only, i'll test it more on XP and see if it's Vistas problem.

Try accessing the drive for a period of time, (copy 5gb+) And see if it shuts off.

If it does, you may want to check the power cables, or see if your powersupply is sufficient.

I am still searching for such problems, specially since my drive is new.

i'm also interested, i've recently installed x64 vista and i get the same strange behaviour from my secondary drive and my wd mybook pro external drive goes to standby quite faster than it did with the x86 vista

i only looked in the hardware manager, but i'll look in the power management when i get home

Back