I'm assembling a computer by myself for the first time and was wondering which jumper would I set the HDD too? Right now I have it on master with slave present..... there are 5 places to put the jumper.
If there is a slave thats good (on the end connector the black one)
if not, set it to single or master without slave present
always place single devices at the end of the cable
also consider that the Master device on the Primary IDE Channel ( IDE 0 )
is the first scanned in the boot order (as seen from the BIOS boot order of HDDs)
no either as master with no slave present (also possibly listed as single)
or cable select
I assume you mean you only have one device on that channel (cable)
there are typically 2 channels and 2 devices potentially attached to each cable
a single device on either channel should be attched as a master at hte end of the cable
or as cable select in which case it will auto configure (again at the end of the cable)