Hard Drive Issues, not recognized in Windows Setup

When I try to reinstall windows (everything was deleted), I come to a screen then hit ENTER to install windows, but then I get a screen that tells me no hard drive is detected. I originally had windows on a 240GB SATA RAID-0 array, but after failing to install to that, I went out and bought A 10gb ide drive, but windows setup does not recognize that either!! My motherboard is an Asus P4c800-e dlx with an overclocked northwood processor (from 3.4 to 3.7) and a 6800GT with 1gb of pc-4200 ram. My hard drives are 120gb 7200.7 seagate barracudas. How do I get my system to recognize my hard drives? Thank you so much, my brand new computer is completely DEAD.

--BiG J

You need to check the jumper settings on the drive, and then check how your drive controllers are configured in the BIOS. And if your actually going to run RAID0, hopefully you'll have backups early and often. That myth was completely debunked, but to each his own.

Be sure to enable SATA and/or IDE-1/2 in your BIOS. Press F6 and install the SATA driver upon installing WXP with the enclosed floppy disk. Configure the jumper settings too (Master/Slave). Not sure if your motherboard depends entirely on physical jumpers but if so, check the manual on what to do with that.

-J.

Can you try pulling all but one of the Seagate SATA drives out. Make it the only drive in the system. Read the manual on how to configure the BIOS for this setup. Try to install XP on it. You may have to hit F6 to load the drivers during the setup. See if this works. If it does, pop in the second Seagate drive, and your all set. You won't have a RAID array anymore, but that's no real loss in performance anyway.

Thanks for all your help, guys. My bios wont recognize the 10gig hard drive too! Is there any setting (all you p4c800-e owners out there) that will help that issue out? I can feel the drive spinning and whirring, just not recognized. Thanks.

you've got the wrong cable
I know it sounds odd but I've had the same thing happen,, need ata66/100 not 100/133 or just ata 66. cable i'll bet it'll work.. and yes I understand it shouldnt make a difference but I've seen it... unless of course its just not connected solidly

or if its jumper as master and slave and there's no slave present then that could be it.. western digital drives are picky this way

moosturdsoed25 said:
I can't load the recovery console because windows setup says I have no hard drive!

hmmm...ya like others said check jumpers and IDE....?

Back