• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hard drive is acting funny

Joined
Jan 8, 2003
Messages
640
Hey guys. I have this 120 GB Maxtor hard drive that all of a sudden wouldn't work. Windows sees that it's there, it just won't access anything on it. Is there anything that I can do to check it and if there's a problem to fix it?
 
Go to maxtors website and download the Maxi blast ulitities disk and run a check on that drive.

What OS you using?
 
I'm using windows XP

the drive itself checks out, and it seems that the partition was damaged.

I tried some utilities and have managed to essentially delete the old partition and all my data is not showing up, as is the case when you re-do a partition. I need a piece of software that will help me to either recover the old partition or help me recover my old data.
 
Do you know where the partition boundaries are? If so, you could use a sane disk partitioner (such as the one in Linux) & just edit the partition table to recreate the partition (assuming you haven't overwritten it).

There's utilities to do more complex things but I forget what they are...
 
well i got all of my files back finally and I saved them to other hard drives and then low level formatted the one that lost the partition. I'm currently moving all the files back. File scavenger worked like a charm. Thanks Czar!
 
Hmmm....have written a data recovery FAQ per se
mainly because you first need to rule out so many other things before
you resort to droppin $80

But I guess I need to, however I havent had my caffine yet, and have other thinks on my plate today, but I'll definately get on it

data recovery is generally about doing the right thing in the right order
in this case I accepted the assessment that it was a bork'd partition,
as it was viewable with the diagnostic and the drive checked out
 
Back
Top