Hard drive Image help

RiZZo0

Gawd
Hey guys your help is greatly appreciated! Now I have some experience with using norton ghost and acronis in the past to produce full clones from 1 hd to another but I'm still kind of a noob with some things. Now my problem is I want to make a full 1:1 image from my 150GB raptor that contains 2 partitions to a bigger 250GB drive. My question is after I make the clone is it possible to have the full space of the 250GB be used for the raptor image or is it going to just take the same amount of space as the original image? Really hope that didnt sound too confusing?! Lol Thanks for your help guys!

At least for Seagate Disc Wizard it took a full 1-1 clone of my 80 GB boot drive and extended it to a full 250GB drive, so it didn't just clone 80GB and then leave the rest unformatted.

Would think it would depend on the piece of software used, but at least for Seagate Disc Wizard it will clone and extend the partition if need be. However I don't know how it will go about this if there are two separate partitions on the first drive to extend or if it will in this case.

Thats exactly what i was talking about. Thanks. The only thing i need help with now is if anyone knows of a program that will work with 2 partitions on the drive and is something more along the lines of acronis or ghost but i definitely want to max out the space on my 250GB drive.

Well check out Seagate DiscWizard, its powered by Acronis and free, and it'll leave the source alone, so it won't hurt to try and see how it or if it does it with two partitions on the source disk.

I'm wondering, if you can't find a piece of software that will do this, if you can just make the 1-1 clone then manually extend the two partitions your self through Disk management. Either way it won't hurt to check out DicWizard, great piece of software Seagate puts out, and im interested to see if it'll be able to do this

The three cloning utilities I've used have all performed essentially identically:
- Western Digital WDDIAG.
- Maxtor utility.
- Acronis TI10 clone function.

All allow cloning of multi-partitioned HDs, from smaller-to-larger and larger-to-smaller (so long as there is sufficient unused space for larger-to-smaller HD clone).

In my case it allowed 40GB-to-80GB and vice versa, 80GB-to-250GB and vice versa, and with 6 partitions.

In all cases, the user is presented with two partition-size options:
- Accept suggested auto-scaled partition sizes, or;
- Manually adjust partition sizes.

Cloning speed the same for each utility used.

Hope this helps!

Hey guys its been a while but i finally got around to trying Acronis True image 11 and it let me copy both partitions from my 150GB raptor to my 250GB with no problems or headaches. It even let me manually resize both partitions on the new drive to take up whatever new sizes i wanted. Great stuff! Thanks alot for your help guys!

Back