Hard drive failure, what to replace it with?

Sovereign

2[H]4U
My friend has a MX6421 Notebook (Gateway). I don't know what kind of hard drive to buy to replace its drive which is making the Clicks of Death. All I know is that it's an 80GB 4200RPM. I'm guessing it's PATA, but does it have any kind of stupid proprietary interface, or will any good drive from NewEgg work?

It won't have a proprietary interface, but most Gateway's I've refurbished did use a converter to adapt the 44 pin interface to their own motherboard connector, it just pulls straight off and sticks on the new drive.

I'd recommend a Hitachi drive, by far the best drives in my experience. And if he's looking for a little more speed, a bit more money will get a 7200 RPM drive for a snappier system, and they have a negligible impact on battery life.

It won't have a proprietary interface, but most Gateway's I've refurbished did use a converter to adapt the 44 pin interface to their own motherboard connector, it just pulls straight off and sticks on the new drive.

I'd recommend a Hitachi drive, by far the best drives in my experience. And if he's looking for a little more speed, a bit more money will get a 7200 RPM drive for a snappier system, and they have a negligible impact on battery life.

Thanks. I didn't know about that converter, but as long as it can be removed from the defective drive, it's fine. No offense to the previous poster, but I looked at Gateway's site and it gave me no hint whatsoever as to the interface type and whether or not it was proprietary.

Back