Hard drive disconnecting issue

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

So I got a new 8TB WD RED had drive about a month ago and I am having an issue with it constantly disappearing from the system. I had a 3TB RED drive in it's place, but got close to filling it up and it too started to experience the same symptoms so I pulled it out and swapped the 8TB into it's place. I swapped SATA cable & port with a drive that wasn't having the issue, but the problem has followed.

I'm debating just replacing the motherboard as it seems that's the issue, but before I go through that trouble I'd like a second opinion.

Intel i5-2400S | MSI H67MS-E33 | 2x8GB DDR3 1600 | 250GB 2.5" Hitachi | 7x3TB WD Red NAS | Corsair CX430 | Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E EXPI9301CTBLK | IO Crest 2 Port SATA III ASM1061 | Fractal Design Define R5

I haven't edited my signature, but it's 6x3TB drives now and one 8TB drive.

Try pulling out the add-in SATA controller and see if the drive still drops offline.

Make sure the mobo has up to date BIOS.

I did some research on the issue. Seems it's a chipset design flaw on SATA ports 2 - 5 that can potentially cause issues by too much voltage over time. Since it's an older P67 motherboard with all SATA ports populated this is the issue I am pretty sure of it. So I am fairly confident I will need to replace the motherboard for the problem to go away.

Do you have a reference link? I'm just curious. Or is this the pre-B3 stepping problem that had a recall?

Ah, that was pre-B3. I remember having to return a first gen P67 board to Newegg for the recall. Turnaround time was a full 1 month.

Moved the drive to the first two ports as well as the PCI-e SATA controller and the symptoms followed.

I then downloaded WD's diagnostic program and ran a full test. It fails every time within' 30 seconds claiming that the drive has too many bad sectors. RMAing the drive now.

I've spent more time than I should have trying to get an RMA for this drive. Went to their web site (Western Digital) to check warranty status. Have 1000+ days left on it so I submitted an RMA throuhg their web site. That was a nightmare. No matter how I entered the data it asked for it kept telling me I entered it wrong (CC Information). I eventually gave up and emailed them (yesterday) and got a reply earlier today. After telling them I wanted an Advanced RMA over email they told me I had to either do it through the web site or call a representative because they wont transfer bank information over email. So I called them about 10 minutes ago. From that point on everything went very smooth. Got an RMA now and waiting for the replacement drive to come in.

Back